Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE SHUTS DOWN BUT NOT OFTEN :(

• Please log in to reply

bada55

bada55

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
[B][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]

HI.... Soo thats the problem.....My board works great but it shutsdown completely only about 40% of the time. When it doesnt completely shut down you can hear the hard drive shutting down but the system fans and processor fans remain on???

I changed the board for a new one with the latest BIOS on it but it still does exactly the same SO THEREFORE I ASSUME IT MUST BE SOMETHING (HARDWARE) ATTACHED TO IT THAT CAUSES THIS PROBLEM????

My board is using Win XP PRO service pack 2 and all updates are applied. The hardware attached is an SCII pci card adaptor which runs two DVD burners. I have a DVD Rom drive attached via the MB on Master. A Nvidia GForce3 64Mb Ti Card and a 180Gb 7500 Deskstar HD.

I appreciate the Vid card is an old one and runs on AGP x 4 but it seem to be functioning all the time including playing games like Doom 3 and Half Life 2.

Any ideas please? I guess the Vid card is the weakest link isnt it??

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

When it shuts down do you mean restart or does it just go off and you have to push the button again?

If you have to push the button again then its most likely the psu (power supply). With this and the other things you describe like the hdd stopping but the cpu fan still running suggests that it is not heat related I would replace the psu before it damages other parts.

Rick

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
When it partially shuts down the system fans and the cpu fan continue to run....No video output is seen from the monitor and the only way to shut down the remaining fans is to hold in the start button. The PSU is a new Antec True Blue 480W so I doubt it could be that or do you think it may be a faulty one? Someone said it could be my dated Video card causing this problem but surely it wouldnt work properly during normal operation if there was a problem with that? :tazz:

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
PS It certainly wouldnt be too much hassle changing the PSU for another one. So if you feel thats the most likely cause then I'll go with it :tazz:

SLayer666

SLayer666

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
What is the computer doing when the screen goes black? Are you running progs, games or on the internet? Will it also completely shutdown on you or just give you black screen?

bada55

bada55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Maybe Im not conveying this problem correctly.

The 'only' problem I have is when I decide to shut down the pc. I have already shut off all programs as normal and go to start and click shutdown. Some of the time the pc shuts everything down but mostly you can hear the HD switch off and the screen goes blank but the system fans and cpu fans remain on. As I've ssaid despite changing to a brand new replacement MB the same thing happens. Something somewhere within my pc something isnt communicating to switch off the remaining fans :tazz:

laser_204

laser_204

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey bad.
i wondering if you fixed your problem.i have the same board with the same problem.
i've had this board for about a year now,and this just started the other day.6-6-05.
i was thinking it was the power supply,thought i would look into this more,before getting one.

mrwonka

mrwonka

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey Guys,

Same board, same problem. Just started happening a few days ago. Even though Win goes through the shutdown and logging off screens, maybe there is a process still hanging? I am going to try the registry fix for processes and see if it works. I have a rocking PS, but I guess it can't hurt to swap it out.

bryndavell

bryndavell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had this problem. Have you tried another graphics card? I swapped mine and had no more problems.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you try the different psu.

mrwonka

mrwonka

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I swapped out my PSU to no avail. bryndavell may have a point with the graphics card. I was messing with nForce drivers and ATI drivers when my shutdown problem started. I removed EVERYTHING that had to do with them using uninstall and driver cleaner software, but a new card may be the way to go. I'll borrow one from a friend and see what happens.

mrwonka

mrwonka

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well that didn't work. Going to do thorough check of all wires and caps. And also listen for beeps on boot-up. If it doesn't, this is a good indicator of a bad mobo. Will pull a RAM to force a beep first to make sure speaker is good.

laser_204

laser_204

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i havent swapped out my video card yet,but i do know that when i had my g-force in
there i didnt have this problem.now that i have my new card it was like a couple of weeks later it started this.right now its no big deal,i just flip the switch on the power supply to turn it off.im in hte process of moving,so when im done then ill swap cards.

Edited by laser_204, 10 August 2005 - 03:14 AM.