Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C000021A Fatal System Error - Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

thegman

thegman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Dimension E310, about 5 years old. I started encountering this problem last night. I typically do not reboot on a regular basis, simply using standby mode to save power. I got a message that I was running low on virtual memory yesterday. Typically I just reboot and everything works fine. This time, I got the BSOD with the above error code + message "Windows subsystem process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x7c921515 0xoodef184"
Read numerous posts and forums. Only thing I tried thus far was to boot in Safe Mode, then used system restore to go back to configuration from last Friday, before some automatic installs were performed.

Upon reboot, got a BSOD screen with message "STOP: C0000145 - Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application". There was no OK anywere to click on, so I just used the Power button to reboot.

Upon reboot, CHKDSK launched automiatcally. File verification returned one message:
Correcting cross-link for file 141680
Index verifciation reported no errors
Security descriptor said it inserted something into a file, but the message flashed too quickly for me to capture it.

It then did auto reboot and when it got to the blue screen with the Windows XP logo, it just hung there. Typcially I get the screen to select which user to log on to. After a minute or two, it went back to the C0000145 BSOD screen. Then I rebooted using the Power button, and it hung again at the blue screen for 15-20 seconds, then I got a pop-up saying application failed to initialize (Googleupdate.exe); press OK to terminate. So I clicked OK, then back to the same blue screen and it continued to hang there without giving me a BSOD screen for the last 15 minutes while I have compiled this mail.

Not sure if I have helped or hurt the situation by restoring to last Friday. I do not have a CD for Windows XP as Dell stated I did not require one, instead a CD shaped insert says I should use Windows System Restore or Dell PC Restore if I ever have to reinstall software.

Anyone have advice on what I can do to remedy my situation?

Edited by thegman, 17 August 2010 - 09:32 AM.

Advertisements