Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows will not load - goes to black screen

• Please log in to reply

David1966

David1966

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I start the computer (DELL Latitude 610) it runs the DELL screen giving the Option for F2 (Bios) or F12 (Boot Option).

Then goes to a black screen with curser. Nothing can be done on that screen.

F8 to Safe Mode is NOT an option. It will not allow. I have reset the RAM, no change.

I have ran the XP Reinstall software for Recovery. That takes me to a C:\Windows prompt in a DOS screen. I can CD C: and see all the files. Did a CHKDSK /r and everything was fine.

I ran the Reinstall to Repair the current install. Goes through the whole Windows install process with the 100% progress bar and then restarts. STILL goes to black screen.

I then ran a complete reinstall of Windows. Same outcome.

I pulled the hard drive and can open all the files using it as an external drive. So it seems to be OK.

What must I do to boot up???

Thanks

Advertisements

Kii

Kii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Did u re-write MBR?

David1966

David1966

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Did u re-write MBR?

I did not specifically rewrite the MBR. I do not know how to do that. Unless reloading windows from the CD does that.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
http://helpdeskgeek....x-mbr-xp-vista/

SRX660