Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External HardDrives

• Please log in to reply

jmaymc

jmaymc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a grandmother who was not taught about computors, or raised with computors. Some one gave me an external hard drive to store my pictures and my computor tells me it is working well, but in my ignorance, I cannot seem to access the pictures I put on it. Also, can I put a software program on it and actively use it for my pictures? Theses are probably very silly Questions from a very slow to learn Grandma, But can someone help me?

Advertisements

raekah

raekah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been having problems myself with the hard drive and am currently looking for a solution. However, I did find across looking the internet that should you have WINDOWS 7, or a MAC, you should find out what format your hard drive is in, FAT32 or NTFS by right clicking --> properties --> checking it. If your hard drive is a FAT32 or FAT, it will not work on a windows 7 but should work on windows vista. Only a NTFS hard drive is compatible with Windows 7 but both should be compatible with Windows Vista. I'm unsure about a MAC though.

However, incompatibility may be one problem, and if that's the case, you need to reformat the hard drive to suit the windows/mac you have.

Edited by raekah, 17 August 2010 - 04:48 PM.