Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop won't boot- Only gets power for a second

• Please log in to reply

adams0423

adams0423

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
HP Pavilion d4999t. After a recent lightning strike I get the following:
When I plug in the computer a light comes on on the power supply. When I press the power button, the fans all power on for 1 second and then all power goes off (including the power supply light). I cannot get any lights/fans back on until I unplug the computer, press/hold the power button for a few seconds, and then plug it back in.

I'm going to try replacing the PS, but wanted to see if you had any other thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like either a bad PSU, CPU or Motherboard.
Replacing the PSU would be the most logical step to take first.

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Tried replacing the PSU, no joy. Trying to decide if it is worth getting a new motherboard.

Thanks for the feedback.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found these on ebay HERE
Not sure what your budget is but this is the motherboard that is showing as being the one installed in your system.

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I bought/replaced the motherboard and am still getting the identical symptoms. Frustrating. I've tried removing the harddrives and memory to see if it would power up with errors, but it does still cut off completely within 1 second of spinning up (the fans all spin 1-2x around and then stop).

Any final suggestions?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point the next step is to bench test everything outside of the case.

Place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard as this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the
  • cpu
  • 1 stick ram in dimm 1
  • power supply
  • case switch
  • case speaker
  • Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard
  • monitor
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short
If the system still does not boot then it may be memory or cpu.
Was the PSU you tried replacing with a known working one and was it at least the same wattage as the one you took out?

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 August 2010 - 08:31 AM.

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I finally found that the system will power up for longer if I remove a video card (didn't think to remove this before my original mb replacement). I found that there is a BIOS update that addresses fan and processor failure, but it can only be loaded through Windows (which I can't get the system to stay up in.)

Each time I am able to boot into Windows, it blue screens after a short amount of time, with a different error message on every occasion.
HP says they don't provide BIOS updates that can be booted to, only Windows run BIOS updates.

I'm going to swap back to the original motherboard as a test, leaving the Video card out. Will let you know the results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) OK np I will watch for your results.

adams0423

adams0423

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
After removing the video card I got consistent power, but the system still was blue screening. I dropped down to just 1 memory stick (2GB) and got the same issue. I then swapped that stick, then piece by piece added it all back and the system seems to be running well again.

I tried (just to rule it out) adding back in the same video card, and again it wouldn't power on. I added in a different video card and we are back to 100%.

Thanks for your advice on this one... all my best,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A bad video card is easy to replace. I'm sure that is something you know already.
If you know the model of the video card I can research a couple of places to see what the price is for one or something a little newer.