Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Steam Freezes Computer

• Please log in to reply

Starwrath

Starwrath

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
The latest update of Steam completely freezes my computer. Yesterday I shut my computer down to drive home from school, and when I got home my computer kept freezing at startup, which I narrowed down to freezing once it ran Steam. I've tried reinstalling Steam, I did a system restore, and deleted the ClientRegistry.blob file, all of which forced Steam to re-update, but once it was done my computer froze again.

Does anyone else have this problem? I've signed up for an account on the Steam forums, but appending approval there before I can create a topic, and the experts here have been very helpful before so I figured I would give it a shot.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit on an Asus G51VX. All my other programs/games seem to work fine. This only started happening yesterday, and previously I've had no problems with Steam or Modern Warfare 2, which is the only Steam game that I play.

Edited by Starwrath, 17 August 2010 - 02:18 PM.

Advertisement

Kii

Kii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Did some googling, And I found two possible reasons to this happening. 1) Your registry isnt clean & needs to be fixed (Use CCleaner, or any program of your choice) & then another, were they actually had to put new thermals on their CPU & HeatSink.

Starwrath

Starwrath

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Did some googling, And I found two possible reasons to this happening. 1) Your registry isnt clean & needs to be fixed (Use CCleaner, or any program of your choice) & then another, were they actually had to put new thermals on their CPU & HeatSink.

I ran CCleaner and once Steam popped up with the opening page for signing into your account my computer froze. I really can't see how overheating would be the issue with a single program - something Steam is doing is freezing the computer, possibly an interaction with another piece of software or driver (all my drivers are up-to-date that I know of, particularly video).

Advertisement