Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

White screen Acer Aspire 5920g laptop

• Please log in to reply

ardm

ardm

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi-I have an Acer Aspire 5920g laptop that is displaying a white screen on startup.The problems started a few weeks ago when no display at all appeared on the monitor after startup-just a blank black screen. I replaced the existing graphics card with a compatible Radeon Express PCI ATI Graphics HD 3650 HD3650 DDR2 512M / MXM II Video Card and now a totally white screen appears shortly after power on(after approx 10 seconds).The Acer logo briefly appears and I can get into the bios but the white screen appears almost immediately.I can hear the laptop powering up and the DVD drive will open/close as normal. There are no beeps on startup and all lights are lit as normal.
I have hooked up to an external LCD and can briefly get the BIOS page on the external LCD but then the signal is lost on the external display(after approx 10sec). I have checked all connections to the laptop monitor and all seems ok.I have tried reseating the memory modules to no avail and am now at a loss as to what is causing the problem..Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Al

Advertisements

WheresFreddie

WheresFreddie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, I have exactly the same problem. I also replaced my graphics card on my 5920G with the same Ati card as you. We probably got it from the same place!
The laptop goes into White screen after a few seconds just like yours. You can only view the bios screen for a few seconds, very frustrating! I was wondering if you ever managed to resolve this? I really can't afford a new laptop!
thanks, Freddie

WheresFreddie

WheresFreddie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, my brother and I did some research today. The problem is that the card overheats instantly because there is no thermal compound to transfer the heat between the graphics card chip and the heat sink! You can buy this from any descent computer shop, apply it between the chip and heat sink and the problem is resolved. The ATI HD 3650 card that we both have will work perfectly. Be aware that the card is not shipped with any themal compound.