Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP system running extremely slow

• Please log in to reply

truder

truder

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hello. My XP is running extremely slow. Upon booting up it takes forever for all my icons to appear on the screen. Then when I try to access a file it takes forever and a day, it seeems, for the file to load. When exiting a file it also takes a long time usually i can see the screen start to disappear from the top down. I am currnenlty using a differnt laptop to type this so conversing shouldn't be a problem. Hoping someone can help.

Thank you,

Truder

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Different reasons for a slow computer:

- Not enough ram
- Your window drive (C:) is getting full
- Your system as not been defragmented in a long time
- You have to many start up programs working at once
- Your computer is full of temp files and unused programs
- You have been infected by virus trojan or malware

Some solutions

- Add ram, for XP a minimum of 256mb is needed but recommend 512mb but best with 1024mb or more (maximum of 3072mb for XP 32 bits)
- Your C: drive should have at least 15% (of the total capacity) free space on it to permit Windows swapping files
- A regular (weekly or at worst monthly) defragmentation of your HD is recommended.
-Check what are your startup programs since apart from Antivirus, Firewall or other protective programs any other are not required.
- When is the last time you cleaned your computer of unused temp files, internet cache ect.
- If infected go to the Virus malware section for help.

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Different reasons for a slow computer:

- Not enough ram
- Your window drive (C:) is getting full
- Your system as not been defragmented in a long time
- You have to many start up programs working at once
- Your computer is full of temp files and unused programs
- You have been infected by virus trojan or malware

Some solutions

- Add ram, for XP a minimum of 256mb is needed but recommend 512mb but best with 1024mb or more (maximum of 3072mb for XP 32 bits)
- Your C: drive should have at least 15% (of the total capacity) free space on it to permit Windows swapping files
- A regular (weekly or at worst monthly) defragmentation of your HD is recommended.
-Check what are your startup programs since apart from Antivirus, Firewall or other protective programs any other are not required.
- When is the last time you cleaned your computer of unused temp files, internet cache ect.
- If infected go to the Virus malware section for help.

I am thinking it may have something to do with what is running at startup. How do i know what is necessary at startup? I checked what currenlty runs and there is about 25 things checked.

Thanks for the help.

Truder

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you want a detailed explanation please visit this webpage and read it will help you decide what you think are the appropriate steps and procedures to take for you.

http://www.pacs-port...tup_content.php

Hope that helps

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

If you want a detailed explanation please visit this webpage and read it will help you decide what you think are the appropriate steps and procedures to take for you.

http://www.pacs-port...tup_content.php

Hope that helps

Thanks.. I also am getting a message stating "your system is low on virtual memory. windows is increasing the size of your virtuial memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied." What does this mean? I basically just want to use the computer to browse the internet so anything that may be taking up a lot of space or making the computer run slow I can delete. Any suggestions on that?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
What is Virtual Memory:
The area of the hard disk that stores the RAM image is called a page file. It holds pages of RAM on the hard disk, and the operating system moves data back and forth between the page file and RAM. (On a Windows machine, page files have a .SWP extension.)

Check your Virtual Memory settings but first make sure you have enough free space on your hard drive to increase it to the Highest Value possible ( 1.5 X your total amount of RAM)

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
In the Performance pane, click Settings.
In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
In the Virtual memory pane, click Change.
Change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value, click Set, and then click OK.
Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box, and then click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

If you prefer a more detailed explanation of what program is using all your virtual memory see this link:
http://www.askdaveta...in_windows.html

Hope that helps

Edited by Alzeimer, 18 August 2010 - 06:19 PM.