Jump to content
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.Create Account How it Works
Different reasons for a slow computer:
- Not enough ram
- Your window drive (C:) is getting full
- Your system as not been defragmented in a long time
- You have to many start up programs working at once
- Your computer is full of temp files and unused programs
- You have been infected by virus trojan or malware
- Add ram, for XP a minimum of 256mb is needed but recommend 512mb but best with 1024mb or more (maximum of 3072mb for XP 32 bits)
- Your C: drive should have at least 15% (of the total capacity) free space on it to permit Windows swapping files
- A regular (weekly or at worst monthly) defragmentation of your HD is recommended.
-Check what are your startup programs since apart from Antivirus, Firewall or other protective programs any other are not required.
- When is the last time you cleaned your computer of unused temp files, internet cache ect.
- If infected go to the Virus malware section for help.
If you want a detailed explanation please visit this webpage and read it will help you decide what you think are the appropriate steps and procedures to take for you.
Hope that helps
Edited by Alzeimer, 18 August 2010 - 06:19 PM.
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Community Forum Software by IP.Board
Licensed to: Geeks to Go, Inc.