Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notepad++

• Please log in to reply

grandpa

grandpa

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi

I have just downloaded and installed Notepad++ and want to use it with FillZilla instead of Notepad, however I dont know how and if i can uninstall Nptepad. or Hoe do I make Notepad++ the default editor.
Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Grandpa

Advertisements

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Your Right. As far as I know Microsoft won't allow you to uninstall Notepad (though I can't say I've ever tried to, either) - As for setting Notepad++ for a default text editor, I think there a couple of ways you can go about it. The first would be to edit the file associations in the Registry (perhaps a tad risky); I know this one to be a fact. What I'm pretty sure you can do - I don't remember "how" and it may depend on the OS your using, but you may also be able to right-click a file in Explorer, select properties, and maybe set the default program for it to open with from there.

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Your Right. As far as I know Microsoft won't allow you to uninstall Notepad (though I can't say I've ever tried to, either) - As for setting Notepad++ for a default text editor, I think there a couple of ways you can go about it. The first would be to edit the file associations in the Registry (perhaps a tad risky); I know this one to be a fact. What I'm pretty sure you can do - I don't remember "how" and it may depend on the OS your using, but you may also be able to right-click a file in Explorer, select properties, and maybe set the default program for it to open with from there.

Hi

Thanks for that I'll try. OS is xp pro.

Cheers

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Grandpa,
To change the program to Notepad++:
1. In FileZilla, go edit, settings.
2. Under File Editing open Filetype Associations.
3. Present should be some text like "css C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE".
4. Change the path to reflect the location of Notepad++.
5. Do this for every file type you want to open in Notepad++.

This should work.

Thanks,
Taomech

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Hi Grandpa,

This should work.

Thanks,
Taomech

Hi Toamech

Don't know whether Ive tried to do this correctly. I tried to copy Notepad++ to c:\windows\system32, but each time "Microsoft" over wrote it with the old Notepad file. So I'm not sure what to do. Also not sure how to find the location for where the exe for FileZilla is.

Cheers

Grandpa

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Grandpa,
You don't need to copy any files. If you installed Notepad++ to the default directory, you can try this.
Following the instructions in my first post, change all the paths so that they reflect "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\Notepad++.exe".

Thanks,
Taomech

Edited by taomech, 20 August 2010 - 03:36 AM.

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Hi Grandpa,

This should work.

Thanks,
Taomech

Hi Toamech

Don't know whether Ive tried to do this correctly. I tried to copy Notepad++ to c:\windows\system32, but each time "Microsoft" over wrote it with the old Notepad file. So I'm not sure what to do. Also not sure how to find the location for where the exe for FileZilla is.

Cheers

Grandpa

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Grandpa,
You don't need to copy any files. If you installed Notepad++ to the default directory, you can try this.
Following the instructions in my first post, change all the paths so that they reflect "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\Notepad++.exe".

Thanks,
Taomech

Hi

Thanks for that. Great

Cheers

Grandpa