Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection issues. . .

• Please log in to reply

thearabianmage

thearabianmage

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey all,

Londoner here - I am with AOL (curse them) - and share a flat with other people. I have a weird problem:

I think my laptop affects any wireless router it's connected to.

My flatmate is gone quite a lot, and when she is my connection is constantly dropping. In fact, it has dropped twice while I typed this sentence. I touch type.

But when she returns, she is constantly using the internet (a 6-7 year old Dell laptop running XP) and it is 'fine', with very few problems cutting out. I can then stream online videos, download large files, etc. Then she goes to bed, and it starts cutting out again.

Similarly, when I visit my parents home in Somerset - using a BT connection - I get a similar problem. My mother has a standard Dell desktop, 3-4 years old, running Vista. Fine, mostly. But my laptop? Nope.

And, to round it off, I've done some 'experiments'. I use the internet for a while and when it gets really bad (i.e., the point before I throw my laptop out the window) I turn it off. Then, lo and behold, the lights on the router are all on and solid. Leave it 5 minutes. Still solid. Turn on computer. Still solid. Log onto computer. Still solid. Desktop loads. A light blinks once. I load Firefox, a light turns off, then starts blinking. Problems begin.

The only thing I can think of are a couple trojans I've had recently. I used various software to locate the trojans, quarantine, then remove them, as well as CCleaner (I don't mess with the registry) and everything seems fine now. The computer lags quite a bit, but that's it's only problem as far as I'm aware. I regularly defrag (Defraggler) and clean my temp files (CCleaner). I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network adapter, if that's of any use. . .

So, could my laptop be affecting my wireless router?

Cheers in advance for any help any of you may be able to offer :)

Joe

-----------EDIT-----------
Upon further examination, while I typed this post, the lights on the router were, for the most part, solid - although the wireless icon in my taskbar was going back and forth between 'no connection', 'limited connectivity' (connected to the router, but not the net) and 'connected'. I posted, and all was fine, but when I tried to go to Google, down - all lights off.

It seems when my computer is not doing anything, the internet is fine, but when it tries to access the router, the router stops connecting. . .

Edited by thearabianmage, 18 August 2010 - 06:08 PM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

It seems when my computer is not doing anything, the internet is fine, but when it tries to access the router, the router stops connecting. . .

Burn a Linux ISO such as Ubuntu to CD or DVD. Boot from it and see if the problem remains.

http://ubuntu.media....386.iso.torrent

thearabianmage

thearabianmage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Burn a Linux ISO such as Ubuntu to CD or DVD. Boot from it and see if the problem remains.

http://ubuntu.media....386.iso.torrent

Thanks for your reply :)

But I don't have any blank discs, I've never burned a boot disc before and have never booted a different OS from disc :)

I'm rather cynical about Windows, and especially Vista, wouldn't there be complications with this? Like - under a different OS, would all my drivers still work properly?

Cheers

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I'm rather cynical about Windows, and especially Vista, wouldn't there be complications with this? Like - under a different OS, would all my drivers still work properly?

My suggestion of one born of both experience and indolence. Upon booting from a Linux distro, you will quickly learn whether the problem is hardware or Windows based.Not every wireless card is supported, but many are. It's worthwhile giving it a go.