Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Takes a long time to boot before login screen

• Please log in to reply

Leif W.

Leif W.

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

This may or may not be a problem. I have a brand new Dell XPS 9000. It has Window 7 64-bit Home Premium. It's about 3 weeks old. When I first got the system, upon powering up the system the screen that displays "start Windows" prior to the login screen, would only be up for 6 to 10 seconds. The login screen would then be displayed. Recently, it started taking about 1 minute before going to the login screen. After logging in, the system runs fine. Also, if I select "Restart" from the start menu, only about 6 seconds is spent on the "Start Windows" screen after restarting. It's only if I actually shut down the system and power up, does it stay on the "Start Windows" screen for about 1 minute. During this time I don't see the hard drive light flashing except for the last second or two before the login screen. I'm pretty confident that I don't have any sort of infection. McAfee security center has been running with all options checked since day one. I also have SpywareBlaster installed. Just as a precaution I ran Malwarebytes and everything is clean. I also ran a SuperAntispware scan and, except for a few tracking cookies, no issues.

So what's changed. There has been no hardware changes. Windows Update has installed security updates. McAfee installed an update. I also added a printer that's attached to a Windows XP machine that I have. There may have been other updates installed behind the scenes. I don't recall exactly when this slower start time began in relation to any updates.

This behavior may be normal, but I got used to the quick start time. So my question is this, is this normal behavior? I can live with it, but I was wondering if there are some standard settings that I can check. I'm wondering if a Windows update changed something or if McAfee changed something.

Thanks,
Leif W

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I assume, since you bought it, you installed some new programs?

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I assume, since you bought it, you installed some new programs?

Yes. SpywareBlaster, MalwareBytes, VLC Media Player, Microsoft Office 2010 Professional and Company of Heroes.

I had installed SuperAntispyware but it would crash when I tried to run it. I uninstalled it without issue. I then downloaded the portable version and ran that without a problem.

I forgot to mention in my prior post, that the PC came with Adobe reader pre-installed. It updated itself to a newer version. Also, the PC came with a free version of Office that had limited functionality and ads. I uninstalled this version, as I had a full version of Microsoft Office 2010

I'm pretty sure this is all of the software changes.

Thanks,
Leif W.

Edited by Leif W., 18 August 2010 - 08:45 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, there you have it.
Probably, some of those programs added themselves as startups and thus the boot time difference.
If there is no dramatic change, it's quite normal.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Well, there you have it.
Probably, some of those programs added themselves as startups and thus the boot time difference.
If there is no dramatic change, it's quite normal.

I thought that might be the issue. Does it make sense that the startup time being longer even before I get to the login screen?

Thanks,
Leif W.

P.S. I meant to say thanks for the super fast response!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)
Some modules may be loading before Windows starts.

Leif W.

Leif W.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

You're welcome :)
Some modules may be loading before Windows starts.

I think I figured out my issue. I thought I'd post the resolution here in case it helps someone else. As I mentioned Adobe Reader updated itself shortly after getting the system. I checked the settings in Adobe. There was a setting to check for updates and automatically download, but let me choose when to install them. I changed this setting to not downlaod and install automatically. Once I did this, my fast startup time returned.

Leif W.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thank you for posting back :)