Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need CD-ROM drivers for 98SE

• Please log in to reply

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Are you connecting the cd-rom to the cable correctly??

Murray

Advertisements

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
My cables have notches and will only connect one way.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Then I would suggest trying a different cable.. If it works in a different system, then either a) the cable is shot or b) the IDE connector is shot or c) the mobo is shot..

Did you think to check the connection at the mobo to make sure it was connected properly and tight??

Murray

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Have checked the cable on another computer-works fine. Have reconnected the HDD to the Secondary IDE slot and it worked fine so I assume the mobo is ok. Have tried connecting the cd drives to the Primary IDE slot and get same results. When I delete the cd-roms from the device manager and reboot the system it detects the drives as new hardware so the cables, mobo and connections must be fine. The problem has to be in the drivers or the BIOS. I did not have a chance to look at the BIOS last night as you advised so I need to do that before anything else at this point. The reason I did not get to the computer last night is my main computer went down after installing a Microsoft XP update and I could not get on the internet to read your instructions from home. See my new post in the XP OS section of the forum. That problem is more important to me than this one as I need that computer up and running ASAP.

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Tried installing the Delta CD-ROM again last night and the OS detects the device as a storage device and can't find drivers for it. Could something be set wrong in the BIOS? I have the CMOS in the BIOS set to Auto but only the HDD is listed after startup. Nothing is detected on the Secondary IDE Controller.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Are you using the new color coded IDE cables or the good old standard grey and black flat things??

Murray