Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New mobo with no picture

• Please log in to reply

aprillia99

aprillia99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok well im building a new desktop all the part i am use are new except the mobo was an open box from newegg which they clam was checked to make sure it worked properly

here a link to the mobo http://www.newegg.co...ntent-_-text-_-

i have everything install ram,hdd,fans,lights, all good the mobo has no on board video card so i put in and nvidia geforce 6600 gt, a little older of a card, turned it on and got nothing no bio screen no splash screen, just black and the monitor goes un resposive after a few seconds like theres no signal. thinking and hoping it was the video card i went out and bought a new nvidia 8400gs, a cheap 60 dollar card for trouble shooting, installed it turned on and again nothing. i get no beeps, all the lights and fan come on, the only other weird things it the HDD light on the case is red. so thinking that might somehow be a problem i uninstantiated the HDD still nothing. so what does everyone think the mobo is fried? or am i doing something wrong. i know the video card has to be installed but i should get some sort of picture right, or be able to get into safe mode?

ty in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi aprillia99 :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.
Can you try hooking up to another monitor, a laptop with a vga port will do.
Inspect the pc to monitor cable, look for any bent pins in particular, make sure
it is secure at both ends.
Other suggestions; remove the silver CR2302 battery for a few moments and then
replace it, while you are there make sure the jumper cap is on the correct pins,
it should be on pins 1 and 2, if you do not have a user manual you can download it
from here http://uk.asus.com/p...ontent=download
Remove the Ram sticks and power up to see if you get any beeps, if you do then
try one stick at a time in each slot.
If the above does not help I would recommend removing the MB and doing a barebones
set-up on a piece of cardboard and just attach the video and one stick of Ram for
now, I am suggesting this so you can make sure the standoffs (if used) are in the
correct locations and to look for any shorts to the MB (stray screw or bared wire)
if you have any luck with this simply add one component at a time until complete.
Take the opportunity to get the psu tested correctly or swap it for a known good one.
Let us know how it goes.