Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista + 2 screens + ATI = BSOD

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
So a few days ago i bought a second screen to run with my laptop for more workspace, and for two days it worked like a charm, no problems at all. Then, very suddenly it began to show an error message telling me that a pilot had crashed and been successfully recovered, only to bluescreen seconds later, making it impossible to boot the computer untill the second screen was disabled or unplugged. Luckily a friend of mine was present at the time and we scoured the net to find a fix. What we found were incredibly varied and mixed reports blaming everything from the graphics card to the OS. I can confirm that people experience the exact same problem with ATI, NVidea, Win7, Vista and various drivers, sometimes they don't even have dual screens. The solutions were so varied and worked for such random people that it was impossible to indentify what the root of the problem could be. We tried uninstalling specific Vista updates, which did nothing, we downloaded a hotfix for the problem, which did nothing, we disabled the Vista Aero desktop theme, which did nothing. What eventually SEEMED to work, only to fail a day later, was resetting the BIOS to their default configuration. After doing that it worked for roughly 24 hours before BSOD'ing again tonight. I have just restarted my PC and disabled Aero, which for whatever random reason seems to have stabilized it for the moment. I have no doubt that it will BSOD again before the night is through.
I have googled this problem extensively, but the sheer myriad of possible causes and reported fixes makes it impossible to determine the problem.
Is there anyone who has had a similar problem, or knows how i might fix it? This [bleep] screen cost me €112 and i'll be damned if i'm not going to able to use it because of a bizarre error. :)

Almost forgot my details:
GFX card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430
Operating System: Vista Basic
RAM: 3Gb
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00Ghz

Edited by averysadman, 19 August 2010 - 04:06 PM.

Advertisements

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Ok, it has been running ok for a while now, although i have not tried rebooting it again. I don't trust the damned thing.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
It's still running ok with Vista Aero disabled, i think it may have fixed it, although i don't know why it didnt work the first time.