Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NAT changes on its own?

• Please log in to reply

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have a Linksys WRT400N Wireless router. I have two desktops, two xbox 360's, and a Laptop connecting to it. From time to time, my router likes to change NAT type from Open to Moderate. It's not a big problem to fix because all I have to do is just unplug everything from the router, wait 30 seconds, plug everything back in, and NAT is back to Open. I'm just curious if anyone here would know why my router changes from Open to Moderate when it wants to. Could it have anything to do with so many devices connecting to it? This usually happens over night when every device connecting to it is turned off. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Probably a firmware issue. Make sure UPnP is enabled, the Xbox Live service requires it to be running.

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
UPnP is enabled...it's been enabled every since I started gaming on my 360. I don't really see why a firmware version/upgrade would affect my NAT status..

Edit: I also have all required/recommended ports open for the XBL service.

Edited by BlazeHeatnix, 26 August 2010 - 12:49 AM.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Is your xbox configured with a static IP address?

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Is your xbox configured with a static IP address?

One of them (mine) is, the other one is set to obtain an IP automatically because for some reason I can not have both my 360's on static. I suppose I should also mention that my laptop and both of my desktops are configured with static IP's as well. Really, the only thing that is assigned an IP by the router is my brother's xbox. I'm positive that none of the static IP's interfere with the assigning of the automatic ones though because I have them set higher than what the router always assigns.

Also, it's just not my 360 that gets Moderate NAT; when I see that my 360 has moderate NAT, so does my brother's.

Edited by BlazeHeatnix, 27 August 2010 - 09:32 PM.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Your other xbox should be able to be assigned a static IP address - there's no reason why only one xbox can be statically assigned. Anyway, have you tried placing your xbox in the DMZ (demilitarized zone) of the router to see what happens?

BlazeHeatnix

BlazeHeatnix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
What I meant to say was that my brother's xbox can be assigned a static IP, but then I can not get the NAT type to Open no matter what I do; I did try placing one xbox in the DMZ and the other as static but there was some conflict...I don't remember what. None of this is really relevant though; this seems to be more of a router issue as opposed to what I have hooked up to the router and how it is configured.