Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't load Office 07 Service pack

• Please log in to reply

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have installed and used Office 2007 for about a week now. The auto update that appears will not install the Service Pack #2 during shut down or going to the Microsoft update page. Computer runs very slow for about 10-15 minutes initially. Don't know if this is related.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Error message?

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Nope. No message. It just says it failed to install. I have not waited to see if it says anything trying to install during the shutdown period.

I have the Office Click-to-Run 2010 beta version on the Add-Remove list that won't remove when I select it. Related?

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I watched as the computer shut down and it just says it is installing updates and it will shut down on its own. No message about a failure to install. The yellow shield at the bottom right of the screen just comes right back on the next reboot.

Been looking at the task manager and the paging file is hitting 1 GB while the CPU usage is staying at 4% or lower. No spikes. Isn't that backwards?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Check the Event Viewer, under Application.

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Nothing in the viewer except what I have opened. If I am switching from page to page on the net when things are boged down the status just shows "not responding" until the new page opens. Or not, on the bad days where they just freeze.

I will uninstall Office 2007 and see if I can then remove the Office click-to-run 2010 beta.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try doing a System Restore

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
The restore did not work. Now it says Service Pack #2 and Update KB981715 did not install. I found a link to install Service Pack #1 and that did not work either.

I have not tried to remove and reinstall Office 2007 yet.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would try that next :)

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I removed Office 2007 but that didn't work.

I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Now it is gone.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Reinstalled Office and it still doesnt work?

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Now the fun really begins I guess. I have removed all the Office products including the one that previously would not remove using Add/Remove. Now when I go to reinstall Office 2007 the computer just locks.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Locks?

v-twinrider

v-twinrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes nothing works mouse freezes everything locks up. Requires hard reboot. I am watching the Performance meeter in Task Manager and it is not spiking. It is nowhere near 100% CPU Usage but it still freezes up.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try using Windows Installer Cleanup utility or Revo Uninstaller to cleanup any remnants of Office and try again.