Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2003 Service Pack 2 keeps failing to install

• Please log in to reply

shaly777

shaly777

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Windows keeps alerting me that I need to install updates, but when I attempt it, it tells me the installation failed. And I can't open any of my Office programs. Excel, Word, or Outlook. Can anyone help!!? Thanks!

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Error message?

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
It has three updates...and it runs each one, then simultaneously says failed! failed! failed! and then a window says some of these updates were not installed.
However when I try to open an Office program it runs the installation for it, then says file not found. Then a window popped up saying "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application"

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Reinstall Office.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I don't have my disc.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try a repair and install then. If it asks you for a disc, your out of luck. Also, you could try a system restore to return the machine to a state before the updates...it should have automatically created a restore point for you.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok...thanks. Could you tell me what you think the cause of this malfunction could be?

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hey...One important question! :) How do I do repair and install??

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
To do a repair install you need the XP cd. If you have that go here http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm
If you dont have a XP CD, you are on a short rope.....

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

To do a repair install you need the XP cd. If you have that go here http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm

Well...shucks. I suppose I'm on a short rope!
What causes these things to occur? Any idea?

Thnaks by the way! :)

Advertisements

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Well...shucks. I suppose I'm on a short rope!
What causes these things to occur? Any idea?

Thnaks by the way! :)

I have no clue. If I were you I would start looking for a XP cd, sooner or later you will need it.
Brand name (Dell, HP and so on have proprietary XP cd's). I think if its one of those, proprietary ones, you may be able to borrow one from a friend of the same flavor same Company.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Sometimes you dont need it, depends on how you installed it.

rosiesdad: that is a link for Windows XP Repair install, not Office detect and repair.

- Add Remove programs
- Microsoft Office -> Change
- Reinstall/Repair button
- Detect and Repair

Try that first. If that doesnt work, next step is System Restore.

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Because of her other issues, especially not being able to install open office, I would try a repair install. But thats just me.
If MS office is still disfunctional after a repair install of XP, then I would punt.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Office updates come through Windows Update...

Even if they were Windows Updates that broke Office, System Restore would roll it back prior. No need for a repair install.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
OK guys, my husband says he thinks these disks are at the office in the original box the laptop came in. So, I am going to see if that's them and if so, perhaps I will still need some guidance with the restoration/repair. Thanks SO MUCH! :)