Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt e

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok this is not about my computer and unfortunately I don't know much about it. All I really know is its a hp running xp and its a few years old. I've done light clean up (defraging and scanning) in the past but nothing more. As for updates I am not certain of its current status.

In the past few weeks lock ups and crashes started happening but required nothing more than a reboot. In last week the computer suddenly started running extremely slow and would eventually crash. The blue screen would only flash and then go black. Attempted reboots bring up failure to find hard drive, missing or corrupt files (ie hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe) and it also tries to connect to a dhcp(sp?) server but never does.

and when I went to use the restore cd's it just starts an endless loop of press R to start and then the count down to hit any key to enter recovery.

Kinda thinking hard drive but would like a second opinion!
thanks for any help!

Edited by suburbannoize1605, 20 August 2010 - 07:06 PM.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts
I agree. It sounds like a dying/dead hard drive. :)