Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious error, cannot install updates or pdf reader, cannot uninstall

• Please log in to reply

chellb

chellb

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I don't know what is wrong with my computer. I have no idea which of the symptoms are related. It's been having multiple issues for a while, and even more lately. About a year and a half ago I had a virus. I seem to recall it was antivirus 2009 or similar. I got some help on here and all seemed better, except that I couldn't download Adobe's pdf reader. Never have been able to get that again, though I really do need it. If I remember correctly it was telling me I needed administrator rights.

Also, when I go to shut off the computer it always says I have 3 updates to install, but they never install successfully.

I also tried to uninstall Microsoft Office (an expired trial version) and it wouldn't let me.

In recent months, I have been having problems with it power cycling randomly. It'll shut off and when it comes back on it tells me it has recovered from a serious error caused by a device or driver. I ran the error checking with automatically fix file system errors. It never gave a report or anything at the end, I came back in the room after a couple hours and it was just back on the main screen. But I think I heard it power off when the kids were using it some time since then.

What has been driving me crazy the last couple of days though is Cookies. First off I wasn't able to log in to Facebook, so I followed some steps to clear cookies and browsing history as suggested by the help section on there. Didn't help, but I did figure out that I can log in there if I just don't check the keep me logged in box. Now, I cannot log in to my bank or to Amazon. Both tell me to allow cookies, which I didn't even think I had changed(except to delete them). So I allowed cookies. Several different ways, first by checking the allow boxes on advanced, then when that didn't work, I did it by moving the slide bar from the top all the way down to the bottom to allow all. Still no go. And for the record, I'm not even sure that all the cookies got deleted, because on a game site we go to it still has us marked with certain levels completed.

If anyone has any ideas, I sure would appreciate the help. Oh, I almost forgot, my computer has xp media center edition version 2002 service pack 3, I use IE 8.

Thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sorry that your post got missed. We get busy at times.

We are going to have to chip away at this 1 issue at a time.

I am concerned about...

Now, I cannot log in to my bank or to Amazon

Due to previous malware and the issues you are having with cookies......(you need to be clean of any and all malware before we continue)

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

chellb

chellb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well, I figured out the sign in problem. The date had been incorrect on my computer, I corrected it and now I can sign in to FB, amazon and the bank.

So where does that leave me now? Should I still do the malware thing?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Where are we at now?
Are you still having the other issues of updates not installing, can't download adobe, can't uninstall office, and it shutting off?

Is this a laptop or a desktop computer?
The time being wrong could also be a cmos battery needing replacement.

For uninstalling MS office....try Revo Uninstaller

chellb

chellb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It is a desktop.
I just tried the Adobe, here is the message I get.

Error 1402. Could not open key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL.
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key. or contact your support personnel.

We are about to leave for some errands so I will try the update insatallation and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

chellb

chellb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No, the update did not install either. It doesn't give error messages. It just keeps trying the same installation each time I turn the computer off.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Use Revo uninstaller to remove MS office and adobe.
An alternative to adobe reader that is quite good and uses little resources is PDF Xchange Viewer. This program allows you to edit the PDF's also.