Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused: Double Router Chain with Static IP

• Please log in to reply

kawaris

kawaris

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. This is my first post here. I have searched through several posts here, and although the information was valuable, I could not find a solution to my unique situation.

I currently live at my cousin's place overseas. Her Internet connection is one Ethernet line from a community network, which I assume is some master router. To configure the network, one must manually input the IP address (static), subnet mask, router IP, and DNS server.

I would like to use this Ethernet connection with my WRT54G2 Linksys router for wireless Internet access. I somehow managed to do the first time I set up the router by resetting the router and connecting the cable to one of the LAN ports. However, the connection stopped working after a week or so. Now I can't figure out what to do.

Another problem is that I can't seem to access the router settings. When I connect a cable to my router, I get a self-assigned IP address with some random gateway (127.0.0.1). The normal 192.168.1.1 doesn't even appear when use the terminal command [ netstat -f inet -rn ]. I run MacOS 10.5

Last two notes:
1) I can hook up the community line to my router LAN and use another Ethernet cable (with the same manual config) to access the Internet.
2) Twice, I have been able to access the default 192.168.1.1 router address by unplugging/replugging an Ethernet cable. However, this is not reproducible, and when I did have access to the router this way, it only worked for 20 seconds or so.
========

Any help would be much appreciated! If I could figure out how to access my router consistently, things should be a lot easier. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hellow Kawaris,

:) Welcome to GeeksToGo

Hello. This is my first post here. I have searched through several posts here, and although the information was valuable, I could not find a solution to my unique situation.

I currently live at my cousin's place overseas. Her Internet connection is one Ethernet line from a community network, which I assume is some master router. To configure the network, one must manually input the IP address (static), subnet mask, router IP, and DNS server.

I would like to use this Ethernet connection with my WRT54G2 Linksys router for wireless Internet access. I somehow managed to do the first time I set up the router by resetting the router and connecting the cable to one of the LAN ports. However, the connection stopped working after a week or so. Now I can't figure out what to do.

Another problem is that I can't seem to access the router settings. When I connect a cable to my router, I get a self-assigned IP address with some random gateway (127.0.0.1). The normal 192.168.1.1 doesn't even appear when use the terminal command [ netstat -f inet -rn ]. I run MacOS 10.5

Last two notes:
1) I can hook up the community line to my router LAN and use another Ethernet cable (with the same manual config) to access the Internet.
2) Twice, I have been able to access the default 192.168.1.1 router address by unplugging/replugging an Ethernet cable. However, this is not reproducible, and when I did have access to the router this way, it only worked for 20 seconds or so.
========

Any help would be much appreciated! If I could figure out how to access my router consistently, things should be a lot easier. Thanks in advance!

I am actually surprised that it worked when you hooked it up to the LAN side of the router and not the internet port. If I where you, and I was trying to do what you are trying to do. I would hook up the community internet line to the internet port on the router. Then plug your computer to the lan side. Doing so it should now allow you to access your routers configuration page. At that point you can configure the static ip details. At that point it should be working with out major issue.

kawaris

kawaris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hmm...I wasn't able to access the router right away, but after I reset the router, it worked again (that is, I could reach the 192.168.1.1 address)! After inputting the static IP source info (I never knew there was a field for that on the router, but once it you mentioned it, everything made sense), everything is super. I thought I tried this my first time around, but I think at that time I already had problems accessing the router.

Thanks so much! Such a simple problem solved -- I just needed to try again >_<. *sigh* When will I ever learn to never give up...

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Glad to here it works :)

On the note about never giving up, I found that 99% of the time it is a misconfiguration issue, the other 1% of the time is hardware.

Most if not all routers have the ability to input static ip information due to in some areas and situations it is used more frequently. So the manufactures realize this and add it in so it can be done.

Edited by amw_drizz, 22 August 2010 - 09:56 AM.