Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New mobo, new psu, but now no signal to monitor?

• Please log in to reply

jkoofish

jkoofish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, the power ceased going to my 2 HDDs, the CD ROM and DVD ROM one month ago. After some time of trouble shooting, we decided that it was the mobo that was giving trouble, cuz as soon as we disconnected the cables from HDDs or CD/DVD ROM to mobo, these units would run again. I therefore went to newegg and got myself a new Biostar P4VMA M mobo and also a new Aspire ATX 520W psu (my old factory one only had 245W). I also got a new cpu fan.

The glorious day finally came when the package arrived. I quickly put everything together and hit power button..... NO DISPLAY!!! :tazz: The new mobo has onboard VGA but there doesnt' seem to have anything going to the monitor (which is two years old), the monitor just keeps saying "no signal". (I don't have a AGP card). ;)

One thing I do notice that is different now is the front panel power/ HDD lights. They don't blink like they used to, they simply just lit up constantly. I know power is going to the HDDs because I can feel the vibration and even heat.

Is it possible the P4 1.9 GHz PROCESSOR is gone and needs to be replaced? What would cause the signal from going to the monitor? Will it help if I try to get a AGP card to test it? Please HELP!!! I hope this is a simple fix. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

What operating system??

If XP, you can't just throw your old hdd's into a new system and expect it to work..

Use your XP cd and boot into the Recovery Console and run the "repair" option..

Murray

jkoofish

jkoofish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, Murray,

Yes, the master is XP Professional, and Slave is XP HOME. I did think that it's "plug and play". So I should grab the XP CD, pop it in and signal will go to monitor? Without the display, I can't tell where I am at. Thanks for your help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Hopefully that will work..

Do you get a post screen at least??

Murray

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It sounds to me like the computer is not completeing post,

make sure the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the mobo (motherboard)

Clear the cmos

Did you clean and reinstall thermal paste?

Rick

jkoofish

jkoofish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did connect cpu fan correctly onto mobo. Just Cleared the cmos and put it back the way it was (default). The Paste came with the new cpu fan so I just put it right on top of the processor when I installed it.

I am not getting a post screen at all. I will need to borrow a WIN XP disc from someone else, I don't have one here. Is the issue really with XP config? Or could it be possible the the VGA is fired?

Thanks. :tazz:

jkoofish

jkoofish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
To get to post, I need cpu, video and memory, is that correct? I tried to use both or just one Memory, same result... NO display. What is the big sign if the CPU is gone? I am just trying everything here since I don't have XP disc at hand.

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
stop thinking xp start with post boot up dont think the car will run before you put in the the key the bios is the key so get that up on the screen first mother b and mem and cpu and power and see if you get boot up screnn plug mother b speaker in see if it beeps that will start to give you clue where to go next

jkoofish

jkoofish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Mobo speakers are plugged in. NO beeping. Front panel HD lights are constant (no blinking either). I am just scratching my head cuz the "NO SIGNAL" message on display is on either when the PC is on or off. Do I have to jumper the HDDs to suit the new mobo perhaps? Argh!!!! :tazz:

jkoofish

jkoofish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Do the front panel lights stay constantly lit up when PC is in BIOS mode? Maybe the PC IS in BIOS mode but no display since new vga is fried somehow. Just a thought. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried a different monitor or checked the connection on that monitor for bent pins??

Murray

jkoofish

jkoofish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, Murray,

I did try to connect my computer with a CRT monitor at work. No display either (the one at home is a LCD). I also carefully examined the pins and they all seemed fine. I will get an XP CD tomorrow from work and see what would happen. I will also test the BIOS battery tomorrow, maybe it's DEAD?? :tazz: Thanks for your help so far.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Apologies for butting in here, but I noticed you said something about the hard drive config. Can I suggest that you completely disconnect all the drives (ribbon cabling & power) until you get the system to post.
When you unplug the ribbon cables, make sure you disconnect them from the mobo itself, not just at the drive end. Disconnect the floppy & opticals drives as well as hard disks.

After disconnecting the drives, you may want to clear the bios again, using the mothboard jumper, before attempting to boot the system.
While you're clearing the bios, just make sure that the jumper is placed over the correct pins. It's really easy to accidentally leave the jumper set to clear, then wonder why the system won't boot!

The jumper should be placed over pins 1-2 for normal operation. Place over pins 2-3 for about 10 seconds to clear the bios, then return to pins 1-2.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Good catch there Samm.. Most new mobo's/systems come with the jumper set to clear BIOS and you have to move them manually before you start installing an OS..

Murray

jkoofish

jkoofish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, Samm,

Thanks for your comments.

I just Unplugged Floppy and both HDDs cables and disengaged them directly from mobo. That means now only (1) PWR1 and 2 cables, (2) CPU fan plug and (3) front panel power plug are attached to mobo. I placed a different CR 2032 (though not brand new, but working) battery in for BIOS.

Then I reset the CMOS to the 2-3 pin position and waited for 10 seconds. I then put the jumper back to 1-2. Switched on the power... and..... STILL NOTHING, no post display (still the same message "NO SIGNAL" displayed on screen)! :tazz: (cpu fan is still running, black wire in 1st pin.)

One thing I take notice is, although both HDDs are NOT connected to the mobo, the front panel HDD lights still lit up like normal but they don't blink. What gives?