Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Assistance needed.

• Please log in to reply

KeeLocker

KeeLocker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I'm having a problem with my computer. I have Windows Vista. I start It up and it starts up until the Microsoft Corporation green bar then I get a black screen without any cursor. I have tried all the safe modes  but all come up to this one file and stays there. I have tried Repair Your Computer, I used System Restore but it tells me that I have corrupt files on C: that need to be fixed I try to fix them but the window goes gray and nothing happens. I try to use System Repair I left it on for four hours and nothing happened. I only have the vista reinstallation disk which does not seem to work. I believe I have a problem with my OS which I think Its due to my pressing and holding the power button repeatedly due to the fact that my WLM (Windows Live Messenger) was freezing my computer and all other programs on it which led me to immediately switch off the computer. After I did this for the 20th supposedly I couldn't get back on to my Vista. Before this I kept getting a message on startup which I repeatedly ignored: Windows will check for corruption on file C: I always skipped this. I also haven't backed up my files so I can't do anything that will erase my data. 
I need help please with a guide on how to fix this problem. I am also on my iPod Touch which is the only thing giving me access to the Internet and strange enough I somehow got my iPod to charge through my computer. 

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi,

Constantly switching off your computer has probably corrupted some files on your hard disk. I would recommend you try to repair your computer automatically first using the vista installation disk but if you have tried this the I suggest you carry out the actions listed in this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

If you have any difficulty or this fails just reply to the article and I will try to help more. Also, ensure that you remove you iPod from the computer when trying to repair your computer because having a USB flash device inserted can "confuse" the computer during the repair.

Thanks,

KeeLocker

KeeLocker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I only have the vista reinstallation disk so should I go buy one?
And if I do this won't my files (music, photos, documents etc. ) be erased?

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

I only have the vista reinstallation disk so should I go buy one?

Not sure what this means. You need the vista re-installation disc if you have it already why buy one?? If you don't have it then you can download a recovery CD for free from here: http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/

And no your personal files will not be deleted they will be left well alone. All you are trying to do is rewrite the files required to load the computer. Hopefully by rewriting these files your computer will boot properly.

I would recommend you try a automatic start-up repair first to see if vista can solve the problem itself. Otherwise you will need to use the command prompt. Unfortunately, the command promt isn't easy to understand if you haven't used it before so I recommend following this video.

My advice is to do the following:

1.) Find your disc - if you do not have one download it from the link provided because you can't "buy" one as such.
2.) Load the disc and try an automatic repair by clicking repair my computer -> startup repair.
3.) If that doesn't work go back into repair mode and click command prompt type bootrec.exe /FixMbr hit enter, now type bootrec.exe /FixBoot
4.) Try to restart you computer without the disc and see what happens.
5.) If that doesn't work boot back from the CD into repair my pc and click command promt again - enter the commands suggested on the video and the microsoft website:

* bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
* c:
* cd boot
* attrib bcd -s -h -r
* ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
* bootrec /RebuildBcd

Hopefully this will fix your problem. But rest assured this will not affect your personal files.

KeeLocker

KeeLocker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I typed in in Command Prompt boot.exe/FixMbrclicked enter and it said : The operation completed successfully.
I then typed in bootrec.exe/FixBoot and nothing happened after that.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

I typed in in Command Prompt boot.exe/FixMbrclicked enter and it said : The operation completed successfully.
I then typed in bootrec.exe/FixBoot and nothing happened after that.

Restart and try typing bootrec.exe /fixboot again (the space is essential). You don't need to type bootrec.exe /fixmbr again because it completed successfully.