Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Bug Doctor

• Please log in to reply

melvinleppla

melvinleppla

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Since I am running Norton System Works and do routine maintenance with Norton, I still get the blue screen of death with error messages out of the blue and even on booting into Windows. Much of the time the quirk happens at the same booting up point as programs boot into the startup.
PC Bug Doctor appears to be the solution, but since I am running Norton is PC Bug Doctor just a duplicate program of Norton?
Thank you

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi melvinleppla and welcome to Geeks To Go ;)

I'm sorry to hear about your problem and it certainly seems like you have one. The dreaded BOD :tazz:

I still get the blue screen of death with error messages out of the blue and even on booting into Windows. Much of the time the quirk happens at the same booting up point as programs boot into the startup.

Whatever is causing that needs fixed. A properly maintained system should never act like that. I wish you were more specific in your details, what error messages exactly are you getting ?

As to PCBug Doctor I think they use deceptive advertising.

PC Bug Doctor will repair every error on your Computer anytime you need it

I'm sorry but no software exists that will repair "every error on your computer", I believe that would take True AI. Flat out that's a Lie! If you download it or the many like it you'll find ya gotta buy them before they work. Why would you when there several good registry cleaners that are free.? RegSeeker works Ok. Many of the problems reported by registry cleaners really don't matter much anyway. PCBugDoctor and others like it try to scare you by claiming you have 700 or 800 errors. I honestly doubt PCBug Doctor would solve your problem.

I don't use Norton System works but PCBug Doctor certainly is no replacement for Norton. I would consider another antivirus, both AVG and Avast! are excellant Free anti-virus programs, and F-Prot For Windows and Nod32 are not free but highly thought of. But that's up to you, if Norton's working for you keep it if you wish. You need a firewall tho and I didn't see that in Norton System works. Does it include a firewall?

Since you crash often booting up try this to try to find the problem.
  • Type Msconfig into Run
  • on the General tab check Diagnostic startup
  • Reboot
You will be ask to confirm every file that gets loaded as windows boots up. See which one crashes your system and post the results of this experiment here. Name of the file and the error messsage received.

To boot normally go into Safe mode by Tapping F8 as your system boots up and select Safe Mode. Type Msconfig into Run again and select Normal startup. Reboot.

hope this helps some

melvinleppla

melvinleppla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I should have also mentioned you need programs to deal with spyware and malware issues that can often trash your machine. Below is basicly the standard advice we give at Geeks to Go. I used all these tools before I joined Geeks to Go and they work well. :tazz:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • IE/Spyad IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.