Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\DR

• Please log in to reply

blackcatkarma

blackcatkarma

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi and thanks for your help!

the problem started with getting the Antivir solution pro deleted from my computer. using malwarebytes and rkill seemed to help. then had to deal with the generic host process for win32 services shutting everything down.

everything worked for a day (still had firefox loading new browsers on its own, but only occasionally).

now i have the black screen (no cursor). i can tap F8 to get into safe mode, but when the screen loads and i select safe mode, it stops itself with:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys

i have gotten ahold of a windows xp professional disk (i have xp home). i have checked the boot sequence to use the disk (F2) and the sequence choices are 1. IDE CD ROM device 2. floppy drive (not installed) 3. hard disk drive C
but with the disk installed i still have a black screen.

is there any magic to get back into my system? at least to recover some files that i didn't back up...yea, i know! :))

thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315311

The isapnp driver is a plug and play for loading a device on the ISA bus.
Do not bother too much what that is, but without the file Windows in any mode will not load.
Insert the XP CD enter Recovery Console
Instruction herewith and follow carefully the directions in the microsoft link at the top of the page.
http://pcsupport.abo...ss/rconsole.htm

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 August 2010 - 01:08 PM.

blackcatkarma

blackcatkarma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you for replying!

i don't get any prompts to press any key to boot from cd...is there any other way to enter the recovery console?
my black screen has no cursor.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Enter setup usually F2 or delete on first post screen and change boot order priority to CD/DVD as first boot

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Just to add to what Macboatmaster has advised 1st boot device CD 2nd boot device HDD
and be sure you save the settings before you exit (usually F10)

blackcatkarma

blackcatkarma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i changed the boot sequence, saved settings and on restart (forced restart) with xp cd...i still get a black screen, no prompts for recovery, no cursor.

thanks again for the help

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
IF YOU ARE SAYING that at no time does ANYTHING appear on the monitor.the graphics card has gone faulty OR there is another fault on the computer connected with this.
OR there is a serious file corruption on Windows.
TRY THIS
You will have to make this CD

http://www.softpedia...load-76994.html

See this for instructions on use.
See if the computer will boot using this CD

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 August 2010 - 03:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not that this is a huge problem but keep this in mind. From original post....

i have gotten ahold of a windows xp professional disk (i have xp home)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61
Thank you for pointing this out. I did not see it, I should have done.
Macboatmaster.

blackcatkarma
As per above, while some aspects of the Recovery Console will still work, if and when you can access it., other remedies such as a repair install of XP will NOT. XP Professional CD will not repair XP Home.
Did you have a XP Home CD OR is the computer provided with a Recovery Partition.
Some computers, branded ones ie: DELL, HP etc. do not come with a CD, the installation is on a Recovery Partition.

That all said and please do not be annoyed, if it reaches the stage of recovering your personal data and then installing XP Professional from the CD, it is most unlikely this forum will assist in that respect, as we do not assist with the use of unlicensed software or the improper use of a genuine CD. So now I know you have "acquired" whilst I will continue to try and assist with the original problem, you will I hope appreciate the foregoing.

blackcatkarma

blackcatkarma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you both.

macboatmaster it's a Dell dimension 4600 (2002) with xp home.
the xp professional is from a friend...i wasn't sure if it could be used in a recovery.

i would definitely never be annoyed...and appreciate everything you have suggested :)

i will have my nephew download what you suggested and let you know what happened.

have a nice week and thanks again

kim