Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc running slow...

• Please log in to reply

lilmntgirl65

lilmntgirl65

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running windows xp and I have alot process running which in return is making pc run really slow...I need to figure out what can be unchecked or how to fix where my pc is not running so slow...If I have 4 or 5 tabs up it freezes and closes all boxes...HELP WHAT CAN I DO...PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM ...please email me or come on facebook and let me know...my face book name is candy lilmntgirl

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
How much HDD capacity and how much free space
How much ram -,memory.
What is processor speed please.
When did you last clean up.
Follow this link please and the advice in there.
http://www.microsoft...estoreperf.mspx

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 August 2010 - 01:36 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

please email me or come on facebook and let me know...my face book name is candy lilmntgirl

All assistance must be given here so that all can learn and possibly help. no assistance will be given via email or facebook. The Terms Of Use specifically states help will only be given in your topic.

lilmntgirl65

lilmntgirl65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

How much HDD capacity and how much free space
How much ram -,memory.
What is processor speed please.
When did you last clean up.
Follow this link please and the advice in there.
http://www.microsoft...estoreperf.mspx

I just cleaned up and defragmented my computer...there are lots of process that are running and im sure I don't need all of them I have emachines W3050 AMD SEMPRON 3000+ 1.99 GHz 448MB of Ram i have 29.9 GB used and 40.8 GB free space if you can help me please let me know
Thank you in Advance

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Is this ONLY when on the web OR without browsing.
If when connected download this.
You can safely tick all boxes, but be aware that it will delete any saved passwords or log-on details for any websites. It will not delete your personal favourites/bookmarks

http://www.atribune....id=25&Itemid=25

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 August 2010 - 08:16 PM.

johnmichle515

johnmichle515

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi !

PC running slow, due to lots of causes. It depends on your Hardware configuration too. You can increase your RAM and Processor.First remove all unnecessary file from START>MSCONFIG>STATRUP.
after that START>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOL>DISK FRAGMENTATION

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not think you need to increase your ram. Albeit that 512 Mb ram will NEVER be IDEAL, it is adequate unless you are gaming or attempting heavy graphics work and a 2Ghz processor is OK.
It would not be enough to run Windows 7 but is adequate for XP.
the disk DEFRAG is part of the link I sent you back in POST 2., just one of the many options.
DO NOT PLEASE remove anything from startup or services on msconfig UNTIL I or someone else has advised you. It is very likely necessary, BUT stopping a service that is needed or removing a startup item that is required will cause problems.
After you have run ATF in post 5.
Run this please and post results.
http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html
Attach the results as a wordpad or other doc. PLEASE ENSURE YOU DELETE any personal data and YOUR PRODUCT KEYS

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 August 2010 - 07:22 AM.