Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ahhh someone help!

• Please log in to reply

AndyBass

AndyBass

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok so i recently built a PC (yesterday) and everything was working fine, I was playing a game and it froze completely couldn't control alt delete or anything. So I restarted and got a completely black screen. The CPU and Case fan is running fine, the HDD beeps once and the screen just stays black. I tested the monitor on another PC it works fine. I tried unplugging everything non essential from the power supply, only thing connected is HDD and Mobo. Removed the video card and tried to use onboard VGA. I've already replace the mobo as I thought this was the issue, same result. I've been banging my wad against the wall for the past 2 days and I don't want to buy new parts without knowing the issue. My specs are: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 160gb SATA HDD 4gigs ddr2 ram geforce 9500 gt. The power supply says total power 330w with max output 480w. Could it be the power supply? I have another PC with the same specs/hardware and it's running fine. So frustrated, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi AndyBass :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.

the HDD beeps once and the screen just stays black.

The HDD does not beep, is it the normal POST beep (Power On Self Test)
this beep comes from the MB speaker.
What is the make and model number of the psu so we can do some research.

AndyBass

AndyBass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's a Logisys 480w 20+4 ATX. Came preinstalled with the case. Model number ps480D

Edited by AndyBass, 22 August 2010 - 04:02 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Looked at the specs for the psu and while it is not a top brand name it is up to the job you are asking of it, unless of course it is faulty.
Please provide your motherboard details, make and model and give us more details on the beep you hear, is it the normal beep you hear on boot up, this is important.

AndyBass

AndyBass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah I think it might be faulty as my other system is running everything fine. Now the new mobo that I installed yesterday is a Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P. Also when fully powered on my optical mouse via USB isn't on. It's a brand new mobo so wouldn't that have to mean a psu issue? Would a fried CPU do this? Or would it at least POST to BIOS or give me anything on my monitor?

EDIT: Finally got the mobo speaker to work. Getting 1 long repeating beep. RAM obviously. Im using 667Mhz DDR2, board says it supports up to 1066. Am i wrong on this? Do i have to get 1066Mhz RAM? Also, will it truly solve my issue? Had same issue with old Mobo when RAM was perfectly compatible.

Edited by AndyBass, 22 August 2010 - 08:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Your new board will support 667Mhz/800Mhz and 1066Mhz of 1.8V DDR2 Ram.
The Award BIOS beep does suggest either a bad stick of Ram (or two) or
a bad Ram slot (or two) on the MB.
Try one stick at a time in each slot and see if this makes a difference.

AndyBass

AndyBass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi phil, thanks for your help. Finally making some progress. Ok so i tried switching RAM and am seeing some results, however, they are not making me any less confused.

Stick 1 when placed in the right side ram socket = Same RAM error beep
Stick 1 when placed in the left side ram socket = Finally POST!
Stick 2 when placed in the right ram socket = Same RAM error beep
Stick 2 when placed in the left side ram socket = Blank screen but no beep

When Stick 1 is placed in left side ram socket & Stick 2 is placed in right side ram socket = Blank screen but no beep

Vice versa = beep

Im kinda having a feeling its the stick, but why wont Stick 1 work in right side slot? Arghhh

Could the RAM socket on a brand new motherboard really be bad? If so why would i have the same issue on old mobo?

Edited by AndyBass, 23 August 2010 - 02:17 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
This suggests that stick 2 is faulty as it will not work in either slot.
What is the history with the Ram, are they a matching pair purchased at the same time?
What I suggest is go with stick one in the left slot for now and get your system up and
running and at least this way you can do some diagnostics using software such as Memtest.
http://www.memtest.org/ and Sandra Lite http://download.cnet...4-10556571.html
When you install Sandra Lite go to the Tools tab>Analysis and Advice and it will create
a report to your screen highlighting any problems and possible fixes.
Let us know how it goes and good luck.

AndyBass

AndyBass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok i will test that out, everything starts up normally with Stick 1 in only. They are a matching pair, purchased and installed 2 days ago. Terrible to have one go out that soon, just my luck :/ Im going to purchase a replacement today. Just a quick question, i was reading somewhere that mixing RAM even different brand is not good, is this true? Would like to know if i need to purchase a whole new set of 2. Thanks again for all your help phil, you are a lifesaver!

Edited by AndyBass, 23 August 2010 - 07:37 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
The Ram stick may have been bad when you purchased it, so I would hold off returning it until you have tested the motherboard with the stick that is working and see how things work out as you may decide to return them both, at least that way you have the option of changing both because if one is bad the other may go the same way.
Yes I have also read many times not to mix Ram manufacturers so I don`t.

AndyBass

AndyBass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well went to the computer store and tried a brand new ram stick in the other slot. Same RAM error, replaced mobo again with brand new board. Stick 1 which was working gives a RAM error on the new mobo. I am so confused im ready to scrap this thing

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Sorry to hear you are having such bad luck with this it must be very frustrating.
The store may have had a bad batch of boards, Ram or both.
It may be time to consider other manufacturers for both the MB and Ram, what have
the computer store said about this? Are they helpful?