Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TXT or PDF

• Please log in to reply

Angry Black Sheep

Angry Black Sheep

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate some help as I am not new to basic e-mailing or web surfing but pretty green with tech sort of stuff. I am trying to download a book from an online library and it's asking me wether I want it in txt or pdf. I'm not sure what the difference is. I have already d-loaded a couple of other books from the same site but I wasn't asked this question previously, nor have I been when d-loading somthing from any other sites. I looked in "My Computer" and tried to find out what the other books were but couldn't seem to find that info either. Can you suggest anything?.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi,

First of all to find out what your other books are right click on one of them and click properties. You will be presented with a box and a few lines down it will say "type of file" eg. Text Document (.txt). Personally I would go for a .pdf file rather then the .txt file. With the txt file it will be like reading a word document and I'm guessing you could edit it. With the pdf you'll use adobe reader to open the file and the document will not be editable.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The PDF format allows pictures, diagrams, and other things like graphs which txt files do not have. Personally, i prefer using the Foxit PDF reader over using Adobe because foxit does not have the bloatware in it like adobe does.

http://www.foxitsoft...com/pdf/reader/

SRX660

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
PDF is definitely the way to go. All formatting is maintained. And as SRX660 stated, all diagrams, graphs, pictures, etc are also maintained.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
PDF files take a lot less space on your hard disk. Just to give an example: I converted a word file to PDF and the volume was reduced from 10.9 MB to 5.7.

After much testing I found that PDF-XCHANGE is the best PDF reader/editor for my purposes. It's free, has lots of important editing tools that are blocked on the free edition of Adobe and is much lighter and faster. Foxit is popular but I had many problems with it. I installed and uninstalled it a number of times, ending with PDF-XCHANGER which never gave me any trouble..

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

After much testing I found that PDF-XCHANGE is the best PDF reader/editor for my purposes. It's free, has lots of important editing tools that are blocked on the free edition of Adobe and is much lighter and faster.

I also use the PDF-xchange viewer on a regular basis. I use it for work to add notations and comments to the manuals I use in the field. I still have to use adobe because it is tied to some of our programs and help files.