Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem Problems... Dial Up...

• Please log in to reply

RyanT1000

RyanT1000

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello all,

I am currently staying at home, and my parents haven't yet upgraded to DSL or wireless Internet, so I'm stuck with dial up at the moment. I'm glad to say that I managed to talk them into installing DSL or wireless, but it'll be a month or two before they get it installed. Hopefully, I'll be out of here by then, but I have a problem with dial up at the moment.

This past Thursday, the ISP had a major systems malfunction all day, and the entire county basically lost Internet and phone service. Upon receiving phone service again, I had problems being able to dial up to the Internet. Prior to this past Thursday, I had absolutely no problems dialing up. As a matter of fact, I only had to dial up once, and in no time, I was online. Now, I literally sometimes have to try 20 or so times before I am able to get online - if at all. I have a dial tone, and the modem dials, but it seems to do the dialing for a while (~20-30 seconds) until it gets to a point where it 'hits a note' and does a long screeching nose... then just jumps to a 'try again/diagnose' pop up.

Sometimes, I can try once, and it'll work, other times it seems like a lost cause. I tried doing a 'test dial' in the Network and Sharing Center, and whenever I'm unable to get online, I receive a response saying that the modem or "some other external device" is "not in order." What I can't seem to grasp is the fact that if I had a major problem with the modem, why would I be able to get online for hours at a time without a problem, and then not be able to get online at all at other times.

I spoke with the ISP and they claim that there shouldn't be any problems at all with the dial up connection. My laptop was connected to the phone jack when this system wide failure occurred. I asked the ISP if their system malfunction could have adversely affected my laptop, but I seem to get a lot of "no, I don't think so." I can't seem to let go of the fact it was working perfectly fine prior to this event. I am absolutely dumbfounded as to what could be causing the problem. Whenever I am able to get online, Windows diagnostic tests claim that there is nothing wrong with the Internet connection - and I assume the modem, by extension. I've tried getting online with another laptop using dial up, and it seems to have absolutely no problems what so ever, but it also isn't really used for Internet purposes.

Can anyone give me an explanation about what is going on. I've run several full system virus scans and these scans claim my system is clean. I've never had this problem before. I know we've had some seriously bad thunderstorms here lately, but I've always unplugged my laptop from the phone jack prior to the storms arriving - I'm not even sure that's relevant(?). Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I would try another number to dial. It sounds like to me they have "rotary" problems or perhaps, they removed many numbers from the rotary and therefore you are not connecting because they don't have enough connections and too many people are trying to connect. If you can connect to another ISP with no problems, I would call yours again and complain.

I managed to talk them into installing DSL or wireless

Ummm, sorry but that does not make sense. Did you mean DSL or cable? That would make sense. Once you have DSL or cable, then you have a network on your side of the DSL or Cable modem. And then you connect to your network via Ethernet or wireless.

RyanT1000

RyanT1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

I would try another number to dial. It sounds like to me they have "rotary" problems or perhaps, they removed many numbers from the rotary and therefore you are not connecting because they don't have enough connections and too many people are trying to connect. If you can connect to another ISP with no problems, I would call yours again and complain.

I managed to talk them into installing DSL or wireless

Ummm, sorry but that does not make sense. Did you mean DSL or cable? That would make sense. Once you have DSL or cable, then you have a network on your side of the DSL or Cable modem. And then you connect to your network via Ethernet or wireless.

I am going to call the ISP in the morning and see if I can get a new number. I called them last week, and they claim that they can get online perfectly fine with the same dial up number, username, and password with their computers. I regret to say that I have not been able to get online today with my laptop at all. I am having to borrow my mother's laptop at the moment. Like I said earlier, my laptop will detect the dial tone, dial the number, and do a dial up cycle, but then it'll get to a point where it'll hit a 'note' and do a long screeching sound... and stop.

I've tried multiple times to get online today, but I haven't been successful. Honestly, I have no clue what's going on. My laptop was working perfectly fine last week up until the ISP's massive system wide failure. Ever since then, I have not been able to get online consistently, if at all. It seems a little to convenient for the ISP to say that there is something wrong with my modem, when it was working perfectly fine up until their problem this past Thursday.

I'm sorry I didn't articulate my thoughts well earlier about the "DSL and wireless" comment. My parents were told (not me) that they could get either a DSL line or have a wifi router put in their house. I know that someone around our home has wifi because my laptop is detecting a wifi signal, but I don't have a strong enough signal, let alone the security code, to gain Internet access.

All I can say with certainty is that I'm getting really frustated with this dial up situation, but it's all I've got at the moment. My father has gotten to the point he wants to "pull the plug" on our local phone company for several reasons - which only serves our respective rural county. Do you have any suggestions about what I can do myself to try to get a more stable/reliable dial up connection. If my modem was really having problems, why would I be able to get online one moment, and then not the next? Again, why would my modem just all of a sudden have a problem... conveniently following the ISP/phone company's system failure?

Are there any diagnostics I can run to see if my modem is working? My Toshiba "Software" Modem (original modem) is being detected by the laptop, but I can't seem to find any diagnostic tools in Vista to see if the modem is functional beyond doing a test dial. When ever I do in fact do a test dial and I'm unable to get online, I'll get a pop up saying the connection failed, and that my modem is "out of order." Whenever I am able to get online, I don't get a pop saying my modem is "out of order"... it just says "connection successful." I'm just completely confused. Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I am afraid I messed up and missed where you said you tried another laptop in opening post and had no problems, then again no problems with your mom's laptop. My experience with dial-up connections is limited and very old. Hopefully someone else reading can step in.

Are there any errors in Device Manager?

http://www.passmark....ts/modemtst.htm has a free 30 day trial period.