Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer hung up

• Please log in to reply

enidgh

enidgh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
As of yesterday, this is the message I receive:

"configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 = 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer."

I am on Vista Ultimate. Cannot access "last known configuration" or "safe mode", etc. The above message keeps appearing, and then reboots the computer, then comes back to this same message over and over again.

Hope you can help me out here.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
Hi enidgh sorry to hear you are having this issue, sounds like a possible rogue update :)
Dependent on if you have the Vista Ultimate installation disk or not will determine which option is suggested.
Suggestion if you do not have the disk ie Pre-Installed OS;
1/ Start your PC.
2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appears you will need to start again.
3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key.
4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear.
5/ Highlight the Repair Your Computer option and Press Enter.
6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button.
7/ Next select your User Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK.
8/ The recovery options should now appear.
Suggestion for if you do have the Vista Ultimate installation disk or back up disks;
With the Complete PCRestore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option.
1/ Make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS.
2/ Start the PC.
3/ Immediately insert the Windows
Vista DVD into the DVD drive.
4/ A Black screen will appear with the words Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.
5/ Press Any key to start the booting process.
6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's Windows is loading files.
7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible.
8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen.
9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear.
10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button.
11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option.
12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation.
13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button.
14/ You are now presented with the following set of recovery options.
•Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting.
• System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time Windows.
• Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only).
• Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory
hardware for errors.
• Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window.
15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts.
I hope one of these resolves the issue and let us know how it goes.

enidgh

enidgh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much for your advice. I tried it all and it still was "hung up". My nephew was able to download a bootable disk and it is now working perfectly. I am saving your instructions for future reference. Really appreciate your input, Phil. Enid

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
You are most welcome Enid I am happy you got it sorted. :)
Thank you for posting how you resolved the issue and for using GTG :)