Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upper Filters and drive not working

• Please log in to reply

Big Yeller

Big Yeller

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Alright, here we go. I attempted to merge my library from WMP into Itunes. I followed the instructions from Itunes and it told me to take out the itunes.lib file. In doing so, I hit a snag and Itunes then told me that the cd/dvd player would not function properly. Well, of course it doesn't right now. If I put in a dvd My Computer doesn't even recognize it.

So I then folwed the instructions on how to get it back and went into the registry and took out the upper Filters line out of this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

I should know better than to do anything like that. I would like to get my dvd/rw drive back to where I can play and copy movies to my iphone, and get this resolved. In the end I was able to get both libraries merged to Itunes and back up all 26 GB of music to another drive. Currently itunes works fine with the above exception. I can still sync fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have read up on this issue from other members and tried the whole delete upperfilters and not reboot, but I have not had any luck in fixing it. Also I did do a system restore and picked a day before this stuff happened. I didn't get any change at all with the registry key.
Yet another note.

Windows Vista Business 32 bit
Intel E8400 Core2 Duo 3.0 GHz
4 GB of Ram
750 GB hdd

Basic dvd-rom and HP 940 dvd/rw (this is one that is giving me problems) as is there are no drivers top d/l from HP, I already checked and the device manager says it is up to date and no problems.

just a side note...
One thing I had done was install Office 2007 but that didn't have any effect on this. however since I did that restore point, I have to go back and repair Office 2003. Now all of that works fine. Eventually I will put Office 2007 back on buit only when this is all done and solved.

Edited by Big Yeller, 22 August 2010 - 11:11 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Big Yeller

Big Yeller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I ran the cdgone file and it seems to be working. Thank you.

I also uninstalled Handbrake after I thought about this for a few minutes.

The message I got from iTunes was: The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for
importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes.

Any ideas? I did reinstall iTunes once but that was when Handbrake was on there. So I am thinking IO should reinstall it now since I removed it. That sound right?

Edited by Big Yeller, 23 August 2010 - 05:06 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm glad to see, my fix worked :)

Then....I have no clue about iTunes :)

Big Yeller

Big Yeller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
To finish out the subject I was able to resolve my problems Thanks for your help again

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Do you mind to share your secret?

Big Yeller

Big Yeller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I was in a hurry earlieer, sorry....

http://www.techgeeka...ds-are-missing/

Followed the instructions and voila! it wasback to normal and no error message.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Aha....good job :)