Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keysrv.dll

• Please log in to reply

pinkchap

pinkchap

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi chaps, im new to this forum, but after hours of reading threads I manged to remove my browser hijacks, so thanks to all! :tazz:
I do have an issue that I am unsure of, its called 'keyserv.dll' and I can't find much description of it on the web.
This is its full title BHO: MSEvents Object - {B8B55274-0F9A-41E5-9067-A3539BD9E860} - C:\WINDOWS\Web\keysrv.dll
and I have found another reference to it with Winlogon:
Winlogon Notify: keysrv - C:\WINDOWS\Web\keysrv.dll
I get the occasion pop up redirecting to 42search.com (or something like that), but I'm not sure if its related.
I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this, thanks!!

Advertisements

pinkchap

pinkchap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: I've sorted it thanks!
FYI - Eventually, found this to be spyware (keylogger and redirection pop up) I gather it is related to the adware-Virtumundo class and I installed it through another program! The unfortunate thing was only the programs 'Hijack this' and MSAntispyware that could find it, but neither could delete it.
I used Process Explorer (procexp.exe) to suspend Explorer.exe and Winlogon.exe, then used the regedit to manually delete the folders. Hurrah! ;)
I have since deleted the program that I suspect it came with.
I realise this may be old hat to the vast majority of the users here, but thought I'd best explain myself.