Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: c000021a, 00xc0000034

• Please log in to reply

Whim

Whim

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys,

Every time I start up the computer, this happens:

->Dell loading screen->Microsoft Windows XP loading screen (with the blue loading bar)->black screen->makes a shut down noise->blue screen

The blue screen has a message that says:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x000003 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I've tried using it in safe mode, but it does the same thing-I can't reach my desktop (?).

How can I fix this problem :/
Please explain as you would to a technologically challenged person-step by step :)

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
System Restore using Recovery Console

This procedure can be used when windows will not start and Safe Mode options are not effective. It allows access to the system restore folders in order to recover from a corrupt registry.
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:

* Type cd \ and press "Enter".
* Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
* Type dir and press "Enter".

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list

* Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
* Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
* Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
* Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
* Type exit and press "Enter".

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

* Type cd \ and press "Enter".
* Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
* Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
* Type exit and press "Enter".

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

TO ENTER RECOVERY CONSOLE - you need the XP CD, do you have this or was the XP o/s preloaded and on a recovery partition as it is with most Dells
The above instructions provided with acknowledgement to the originator on this forum.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 August 2010 - 09:49 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if what Macboatmaster said doesn't work... try chkdsk /r

Edited by happyrock, 23 August 2010 - 10:11 AM.

Whim

Whim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the responses!

I've tried the above two...but still not yet entirely fixed. I no longer have the blue screen with the message but instead...a empty black screen.

Any other possible solutions?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What was the result when you tried a system restore.
BEFORE you ran chkdsk.
Then I presume the blank screen is the result.

Whim

Whim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What was the result when you tried a system restore.
BEFORE you ran chkdsk.
Then I presume the blank screen is the result.

Yup, when I tried system restore...it was a black screen. Both gave me black screens...unless my memory is really failing me :)

johnmichle515

johnmichle515

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi !
The status code c000021a{Fatal System error} often caused by pending file-rename operations that are scheduled in the Windows NT registry, but that cannot be completed.

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you install Roxio GoBack or Norton System Works...

if so go here and follow the guide...

Whim

Whim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

did you install Roxio GoBack or Norton System Works...

if so go here and follow the guide...

Nope I didn't. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages

WARNING... Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process when it is used with the /r switch, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...

Whim

Whim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Much apologies for the late reply!
I tried what you said, but typing in chkdsk /r comes up with:

"The volume appears to contain one or more uncoverable problems."

Am I doing something wrong?
I ended up just holding down the power button to shut it off.

Let me know what I can do next.

Much appreciated for the guidance and patience!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try chkdsk /r again....let it run...do not stop the process....
if chkdsk will not run at all the drive is probably dead or dieing...the only option then is to slave the drive to a working system to try to get any data you don't have copies of then replace the drive with a new one

Whim

Whim

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Here's what happens:

Power button on->"Press any key to boot from cd..."->"Windows XP Home Edition Setup" with 3 options. I choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using a recovery console, press R." instead of "To set up Windows XP now, press enter" and "To quit Setup w.o installing Windows XP, press F3"->comes up with recovery console with C:\> and i type in->chkdsk /r->"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

nothing seems to happen afterward.

"try chkdsk /r again....let it run...do not stop the process....
if chkdsk will not run at all the drive is probably dead or dieing...the only option then is to slave the drive to a working system to try to get any data you don't have copies of then replace the drive with a new one"

If this is the case, how can I salvage the data? and then...how can I replace the drive with a new one? There's no possible "reviving"?

Explain as if...baby terms? :)

Much Thanks. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have to unplug computer from the wall...open up the case and remove the hard drive...take it to a working computer and connect it as a slave drive...then use that computer to access any data you need to get off the drive
AFTER you have your data safely backed up try running chkdsk /r on the drive again...while its still connected to the other computer
you do this by clicking on start...run...type in cmd and press enter...at the prompt type X: chkdsk /r changing X to whatever drive letter windows has assigned to your drive when you connected it to the other system