Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a PC for Video Editing on a budget

• Please log in to reply

jlmorgan

jlmorgan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi forum friends!

Although I very much enjoy spending my spare time editing my high definition video footage and processing large RAW format photos, I find myself becoming increasingly frustrated with the performance of my trusty old P4 when performing such intensive tasks as previewing my videos or processing just about anything, so I feel that now might well be the time to invest in some new hardware. Usually I would just go out and buy the best parts I can afford, but I have been away from the IT front line for some time now and I don't know what is good anymore, which is where you guys come in. My budget isn't huge so I can't afford to buy a PC named after a character from Norse mythology, so I need to know what I need to prioritize when I decide where to spend my money on.

My main questions are:

1 - Intel or AMD?

2 - NVidea or ATI?

3 - What will bring the most performance benefit for video & photo editing: Video RAM / system RAM / processor Cores / GHz?

Clearly I would benefit from all of the above, but the budget forces compromise. I am not a PC gamer -I have a playstation for that- so I don't need anything specialized towards gaming.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always!

James

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Makes no ends realistically, some people say an i7 is geared up but they cost a fortune, an arm, a leg a kidney and the life of your eldest offspring to buy on their own never mind everything else to go witht hem.
2) Makes no ends.
3) Edit the raw footage and do the processing on a secondary drive, not the main one. Also a lack of memory can cause a system to take all day to do anything.