Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD XP Tcpip.sys 0x0000000A

• Please log in to reply

horrorfan45

horrorfan45

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, so I don't know much about computers and what I can offer so far is pretty limited information about mine. But I don't know what else to do (except God-forbid, take it into a shop and pay a ton of money for it to be fixed).

I keep getting the blue screen of death on my computer monitor. It's been periodically happening for a week now and I can't really do business or anything on the computer without it shutting off after five to ten minutes of it being on.

It says "0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804FD632)

And at the bottom it usually says something like "tcpip.sys"

I've been trying to research the situation all day but I'm not genius at computers and I barely know what I'm doing now. I have XP and my computer is a tower. I'm so computer illiterate it's pathetic :)

Someone please help me?
~ Alex

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Microsoft's answer

Method 1: Use the Last Known Good Configuration feature
The Last Known Good Configuration feature is a recovery option that you can use when you cannot start Windows XP after you make a change to your computer, or when you suspect that a change that you previously made may have caused a problem. This feature restores registry information and driver settings that were in effect the last time that the computer started successfully. For more information about using the Last Known Good configuration, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307852 (http://support.micro....com/kb/307852/ ) How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP

* If this method restores windows and resolves the Stop error message, you are finished.
* If this method did not restore Windows or did not resolve the Stop error message, go to method 2.

Method 2: Repair the Windows XP installation
If you were unable to restore Windows by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, try to restore Windows by repairing the Windows XP installation.
Prerequisites
Make sure that you have the Windows XP installation CD or DVD available.

To repair the Windows XP installation, follow these steps:

1. Disable any antivirus program and BIOS-level antivirus protection. For help, see the relevant software manual or online Help.
2. Make sure that the CD or DVD drive is the first priority startup device. See your computer documentation for information about how to do this.
3. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
4. When the instruction to "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press a key. Your computer starts from the Windows XP CD.
5. When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:
* To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
* To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
* To exit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
6. Press ENTER.
7. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
8. A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:
* To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
* To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.
9. Press R. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate Windows XP if you changed some hardware.
* If this method restores Windows and resolves the Stop error message, you are finished.
* If this method did not restore Windows or did not resolve the Stop error message, go to method 3.

Method 3: Use the Rollback Driver feature
If you can start your computer in safe mode, use this method to restore Windows when method 2 does not work.

The Rollback Driver feature enables you to replace a device driver by using a previously installed version. You can use this feature if you have installed a new device driver that causes your computer to be unstable. When you use the Rollback Driver feature, you can restore (or roll back) the previous device driver, and continue to use the computer. For more information about how to use the Roll Back Driver feature, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
283657 (http://support.micro....com/kb/283657/ ) How to use the Roll Back Driver feature in Windows XP

* If this method restores Windows and resolves the Stop error message, you are finished.
* If this method did not restore Windows or did not resolve the Stop error message, go to method 4.

Method 4: Use the Windows XP System Restore feature
If you can start your computer in safe mode, use this method to restore Windows when method 3 does not work. Windows XP System Restore takes a "snapshot" of critical system files and some program files and stores this information as restore points. You can use these restore points to return Windows XP to a previous state. For more information about how to use the System Restore feature, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
306084 (http://support.micro....com/kb/306084/ ) How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP

* If this method did not restore Windows or did not resolve the Stop error message, go to method 5.

Method 5: Use Recovery Console
We recommend that you use the Recovery Console to restore Windows only after safe mode and other startup options do not work. If you cannot start your computer, you can run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or CD-ROM.

You can use Recovery Console to enable and disable services, format drives, read and write data on a local drive (including drives that are formatted to use the NTFS file system), and perform many other administrative tasks. The Recovery Console is especially useful if you have to repair your computer by copying a file from a disk or CD-ROM to your hard disk, or if you have to reconfigure a service that is preventing your computer from starting correctly.
Prerequisites
Make sure that you have the Windows XP installation CD or DVD available. For additional information about how to use Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307654 (http://support.micro....com/kb/307654/ ) How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

* If this method did not restore Windows or did not resolve the Stop error message, go to method 6.

Method 6: Rename the problem software or driver
If you can start your computer in DOS or safe mode, use this method as a last resort when all other methods to try to restore Windows do not work.

* If Windows is located on a FAT partition, start the computer by using MS-DOS, and then rename the problem software or driver.
* Otherwise, use safe mode with a Command prompt to start the computer, and then rename the problem software or driver.

For more information about safe mode boot options, visit the Microsoft Help and Support Web site and see "A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP."
o If this method restores Windows and resolves the Stop error message, you are finished.

Did you download a microsoft update for the TCP/IP? Perhaps reloading the tcp/ip drivers from the Microsoft CD will cure the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

SRX660