Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help picking new graphics card

• Please log in to reply

mawmaw

mawmaw

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have an at least 8 yr old comp. intel pentium 4 cpu 2.4G,using XP. My graphics card is a GeForce4 mx 440 and I need something better that will not cost alot. We play alot of games and some won't play, show pictures. I looked up some (not even knowing what I needed)and found a GeForce 9800gt but don't know if it is better than the one I have or it's compatability with my comp. Any ideas? Oh and if you need more info than what I gave you please tell me how to find it, Still don't do tech stuff well:)
thanks maw maw

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi mawmaw,

Chances are the 9800GT won't fit. You will most likely be looking for an AGP card. The MX440 is a classic, I have an old beast at work running one. But it is useless for games!

Can you post make/model of your computer?

Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
From the information you have provided ie the age of your computer and the present GeForce4 mx 440 card I have found you a couple of cards to consider, if you provide the information requested by Troy it may confirm that the suggestions I have made are appropriate or not.
http://www.newegg.co...2-814-_-Product
http://www.newegg.co...1-308-_-Product
Also be aware that you may need to upgrade your PSU to power any new GFX card you choose, so check out the system requirements of any potential card you may purchase, the HIS H465F1GHA Radeon HD 4650 posted requires a minimum 400W for example.
Hope this helps.

mawmaw

mawmaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Troy, I have a Gateway 500x p04. It has been a great card really as I'm just recently not able to use it. Phillpower2, I dont know where to find out what I have in relation to the 400w. I will look at the links you sent.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hi again mawmaw
I have done some research on your computer and unless you have previously
upgraded the psu the one the manufacturer fitted as standard was 300W & so
would need upgrading before you could install some better quality gfx cards.
Below is a link to where I found the psu information for your computer.
The Gateway 500X is the last on the list of supported Gateway products;
http://www.atxpowers...-atx-300-gu.php
On the right of the page you can see that this company also provide the psu
as a 400W variant, you may want to write down the specs of the psu they are
selling and attempt to source your own from somewhere else (at a lower cost)
Please note that the 400W psu is slightly smaller!
I hope you find this information helpful.
I will also attempt to find you a better psu and will post back if successful.

mawmaw

mawmaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hey phillpower2, I read Up on the power supplies from the page you sent and I think I may need a bigger one. The 400 is the lowest and may not hold up during the complete upgrade. It said if I had a 2.0 ghz 1 hard drive 2 cd roms 400 is ok but I plan on upgrading my motherboard and may need at least a 430 or better. I was talking to my son and he said he may have a Radeon 4650 he will look this weekend) that I can use in this comp and I should buy a tower that is more compatible to other motherboards as Gateway is not and can be expensive to buy upgrades. This way I can use the psu I buy for this one, right?
One other question, Intel/pentium or amd. Which is better?

Edited by mawmaw, 26 August 2010 - 08:13 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Intel ... but that is just my opinion.

Asking a question like "Which is better, Intel or AMD" is similar to asking:

• Ford or Chevy?
  • Republican or Democrat?
  • Catholic or Protestant?
  • Blonde or Brunette?
The answers all depend on who you ask ... and will continue to be debated for years, (ad nauseam).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
What your son has said makes sense as brand names like Dell, HP, Gateway/emachines have their own size
and style of cases which can be problematic when you wish to upgrade as you are restricted to their
components, and to be honest most of them do not use quality parts simply to keep the cost of the end
product down, one of the things they skimp on is good quality PSUs which is pretty damming when you think
of how much damage one can do when it goes bad.

I agree with Doc, there is no definitive answer I ran Intel for years then went to AMD and now I am back to
Intel not because I prefer them but because when I decided it was time for a new build the best deal going
was an Intel one and I am more than happy with the results.

mawmaw

mawmaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok My son has a GeForce FX 5500 it says it has AGP8x support. Does this mean it will be compatible with my comp? I will look it up also but really don't know what I'm looking at/for. He also has a GeForce 6 series and a GeForce 7950 gt oc (bfg tech) which doesn't look right in the back(has 2 dvi ports). Also he has a Gigabyte GV-N63128DH. It really looks weird and I don't think it will work either but what of the others? Will have to get a psu as the ones he has are 200 to 285.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
GeForce FX 5500 it says it has AGP8x support = not much better than what you already have.
GeForce 6 series = not enough info to comment
GeForce 7950 gt oc (bfg tech) = pci-e card so is not compatible with your MB
Gigabyte GV-N63128DH = the only information I could find on this was that they made an agp
variant of it but not much else.
I think this card is your best option but it does require a minimum of a 450W psu
http://www.newegg.co...2-814-_-Product
You can find more info on the card at the link below
http://www.excaliber...on-hd-3650.html

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Simple trick, throw in the FX5500 and see if it is enough of an upgrade for you. I say the less spent on this computer the better. Save the $$$ for the next one. :)

Edited by Troy, 02 September 2010 - 06:34 AM.

mawmaw

mawmaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks Troy, maybe that will hold me til I can get up a new one. I think I will go with that and put a new one together starting with a mother board and case and go from there.
Phillpower2, I will bookmark those links you sent. I appreciate all your input. Sorry it took so long to get back, we were camping. So relaxed and ready to go now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
No problem, I hope things work out for you and please let us know how it goes.

mawmaw

mawmaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I sure will. This is the only place I go for my comp questions. Thanks yall