Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hooking up hard drive to another computer

• Please log in to reply

MMF

MMF

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just went through a huge issue with my Sony Vaio laptop. I typically can fix any problem myself or by something like this but I gave up and finally gave up and turned it over to Geeksquad at Best Buy & despite it being under warranty, costing me several hundred dollars & a new hard drive. Now my other older Sony Vaio is doing almost the same thing. I've been through your other posts on how to fix this sort of problem (just rebooting over & over, it won't boot Windows) and nothing works. The laptop is 4 years old and in poor shape so I hate to spend several hundred dollars to get it fixed. I really only use it to hold all my music and while it's mostly on my iPod, I hate to lose a hard drive FULL of music. I've taken the laptop apart (to check a few things) and have the hard drive out. I was hoping someone here could explain to me how to recover the music off this hard drive (as long as the hard drive isn't corrupt--it doesn't seem to be, it seems to be a Windows issue). I believe it requires a SATA cable (it's a Hitachi Travelstar), but from there, I don't know how to hook it to my computer (I also have a Compaq laptop & eMachine available to hook up to) and where to go from there.

Thank you!!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Newegg.com > APRICORN ASW-USB-25 USB 2.0 to SATA Adapter - $19.99, Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.co...1-004-_-Product

Plug the SATA end into the hard drive, the USB end into a USB port, then wait a few seconds for Windows to get it setup.

That's it.

Load Windows Explorer ([Winkey]+[E] or click My Computer) and start copying files.

MMF

MMF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much! I ordered it. One question, what if Windows still won't start up? is there a way to just use it as another drive? Make it the D: drive?

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
When using this configuration windows will see the drive as an external drive and as such you won't be able to boot windows from it. However, you will be able to access all your files and the drive will be given a separate drive letter automatically - possibly D:

MMF

MMF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, I got this cable and hooked it up and it's reading it as the G: drive but it's telling me that I need to format the disk before I can use it. I cancel it, but that's all I can do.

It did come with software and some back-up program. I can get it to back up about 5 discs (out of 11) before some sort of error happens. When I try to restore from the 5 discs, it won't work because it says you have to put in the final disc first.

Thoughts?