Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how many proccesses running is to many?

• Please log in to reply

661=GONZALES=

661=GONZALES=

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello I recently got a sony vaio laptop and I'm curious on if I really need all these processes running? I was told that is was to many but I'm not sure. I really don't use the p.c for anything major just daily usage. Your help is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
In a nutshell: How many depends on your particular hardware and software setup. It varies, widely.

661=GONZALES=

661=GONZALES=

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello, would it be safe to stop some of them? I don't do a hole lot with my pc. Just daily usage and some gaming.

T

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
If you're experiencing performance issues, you should address the problem from that standpoint. Just going in and "sniping" a few processes is unlikely to solve anything.

If you must, though, I recommend doing a Google search on each process that you're considering terminating, before you actually do so. Some of them are likely to be drivers that you don't want to mess with, others might just be programs you don't care to have running at the moment (such as Skype or iTunes for instance). It's unlikely you'll find any processes that are "just viruses," and even if you do, ending the process will not rid your PC of them - you need Anti-Malware software for that.

If you do find processes that you'd prefer weren't running, ending them once will solve the problem only until the next time you reboot. To stop a process from running on startup, you'll need to go to Run (Windows Key+R), type msconfig, click on the "Startup" tab, and untick the box next to the process you don't want running. Note that msconfig does not uninstall programs or prevent processes from running altogether, it just means that it won't automatically run on startup.
If you find a process that belongs to a program you no longer want at all, you should uninstall that program through the Control Panel (use google to find specific instructions on how to do this for your Windows version).

Again though, I want to stress, make sure you know exactly what a process is before you choose to end it or mess with it. If you don't know what you're doing, you could end up with some seriously frustrating effects (although probably not anything irreparable). And once again, if you're having performance issues, this is probably not a very good way of addressing them.

Edited by W-Unit, 25 August 2010 - 02:31 AM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
It varies on hardware like someone said before. Using MSCONFIG is a good way to remove some of the extra start up programs, but if you don't need the actual program then remove it using add/remove programs.

On newer computers having 83 process you won't notice that much of a difference unless some of them are memory hogs. Sitting at idle with firefox running I have about 96 processes running. Under full load doing alot of multitasking I've had it as high as 200+ processes running.

661=GONZALES=

661=GONZALES=

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello Thanks alot for the info. Will do the research

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
You probably have a lot of useless programs starting that you do not need. They were most likely installed on your laptop as a package.
Take a look at what you have in programs and then uninstall what you do not want.
If they are in the auto start sequence, they will be showing in the taskbar by the clock. You can stop those through he msconfig.