Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

stryfe1986

stryfe1986

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So my set up starts with A Cable Modem -> Wireless Router (Belkin N+N 300 Dual Band) -> Computer via CAT Cable.

Reason why I have wireless is for Laptop, Cellphone, and Xbox.

My Issue is that my Browsers work almost fine. Every now and then it will not load a page and I have to refresh it constantly until the page ultimately loads. I cannot although use any other program that utilizes internet connection such as Messengers, Games, etc.. The only programs working are browsers and ONLY windows Live Messenger.

I had Free Zone Alarm, I have made sure I accepted connection through the firewall, I have also attempted to use the programs w/o the Firewall being active but yet it states I do not have an Internet Connection.

I have also tried resetting the TCP/IP Protocol via Microsoft website.

Everything was working fine until I'd say about three weeks ago or so, I have had my Router for about 2 months now.

I have also scanned for spyware using Malwarebytes but it does not find anything.

any ideas?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do you have a good connection hooking the computer directly to the cable modem? If not then the problem usually lies in the tcpip on the computer. You can try winsock fix to see if it helps the problem. A second thought is that your network hardware on the computer is going bad and the only cure for that is a PCI network card.

http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml

SRX660

stryfe1986

stryfe1986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried the Winsock, but I still get the same error.

But what I find srange is that my xbox connects wireless just fine, so does my phone, and laptop.

my pc which is the only connection I have wired, is the one that has the most issues. Especially that the only other program besides the browser that work, is Windows Live Messenger.

you think it could be the cables? or the network card?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The only way to tell is to try a network card, or have a computer shop check it for you. If it is not a software problem then the only thing left is hardware. I have never had any problems with any XP computer on setting up to get on the internet. Every customer computer i have worked on i can connect if i just put my name and password to my ISP on any computer i am working on.

Winsock fix had fixed problems on 2 customer computers that i fixed at their home.

SRX660

stryfe1986

stryfe1986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have tried the Winsoc fix but i get this error when i run the diagnostic on I.E

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed.
info Redirecting user to support call
info Redirecting user to support call

This is what i get from the IPCONFIG /ALL command:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DJLFSL51
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-32-2E-B3
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:04:29 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 10:14:07 PM

Edited by stryfe1986, 29 August 2010 - 06:25 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Manual steps to determine whether the Winsock2 key is corrupted for Windows XP users.

1/4 down on page
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Have you tried troubleshooting the network with your ISP? Have you tried wire connecting your wireless computers to see if they have the same problem? Will your desktop connect up in someone else's house? You need to eliminate hardware one by one to find where the problem is.

Your IP config looks normal. It seems your router and modem are working OK.

SRX660

stryfe1986

stryfe1986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
SO I bought a new Network card and still have same problem, with or w/o wireless router.

I have tried Winsock fixes and manual TCP/IP reset.

Issue remains?

You think this would call for a System Restore?

Note: The programs that are allowed a connection are Firefox, Windows Live Messenger, and Limewire.

other than this, nothing else can connect. Programs I would use before and worked fine would be, Google Chrome, I.E, Yahoo Messenger.

I also no longer have a firewall, thinking that would of been the issue.

Edited by stryfe1986, 07 September 2010 - 06:07 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
please use following steps to reset IE:
1. Click Start, type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
3. Click the Reset Internet Explorer Settings button.
4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
5. Click Close when the resetting process finished.
6. Uncheck Enable third-party browser extensions option in the Settings box.
7. Click Apply, click OK.

After that, try to see if it works.

Try uninstalling Chrome, then reinstall.
With Yahoo messenger, i could not tell you. I do not use any kind of messenger programs.

This still looks like a router problem. Check the setting with the normal setup for the belkin router.

http://www.corenetwo...-router-by.html

http://www.corenetwo...ited-or-no.html

SRX660

stryfe1986

stryfe1986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dude just wanted to come back here and thank you a million times man.

So Internet Explorer worked like a charm, but I was still getting Connection Issues, verified my configurations with the guide you linked up and found that my firmware needed updating. So I updated and BAM! worked Like a charm man.

I was completely dumbfounded by this issue, When I read you had mentioned router, I couldnt stop but to think, dude it cant be, Ive connected my computer directly from Modem to PC and I still had same issue. Im still confused as to how updating the firmware of the router fixed this issue when it was still an issue w/o using a router. Non the less Thanks alot dude, I was about to just give up and start building me another pc.

"I just saved a bunch of money in PC repairs by switching to Geekstogo.com"