Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How much is my laptop worth?

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I want to sell my laptop, and I'm planning to buy a lower-end gaming laptop (about 900 USD.) I've checked eBay and Google Shopping for my laptop model. but all I find are replacement screens and power cords. I would like to get a rough estimate of how much of the cost of the new laptop my old laptop will cover.

Most specs of my old laptop are posted here. this link shows the exact same model and design that I have, but I put down those specs here: (they are scattered in different sections with pictures for reference in the above link)

HP DV2800t
  • 14.1 inch screen
  • Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2GHz (rated at 3.8GHz)
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • Vista Home Premium 32-bit
  • Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics card
  • Built-in BlueTooth
  • 250GB HDD
  • CD/DVD R/RW Drive
  • HP Remote (Looks like this)
  • SD card slot
  • 2 USB 2.0 ports
  • one HDMI out
  • one firewire port
  • S-Video and VGA out
  • Ethernet port
  • Wireless adapter
  • 2 headphone jacks
  • 1 microphone jack
  • web cam (i think 1.3 megapixel) with microphone
  • 12-cell battery (3 hours of battery life, I bought the biggest battery available)

This was all worth 1,200 USD when I bought it 2-3 years ago. Based on these specs, I'd like some opinions on how much it is worth nowadays.

Thanks for any input!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Laptops depreciate in value like there's no tomorrow. With newer laptops coming down in price all the time you are sometimes doing well to get 10-20% of what you paid for the older laptop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would have to agree with Neil being that you can buy a new laptop for as little as 300USD.
The used price on yours would probably fall between 120 and 240.
The higher end price would be based on some of the specs are not bad but as Neil said they go down in resell price quickly.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Yeah, now that I think about it, a friend of mine bought a laptop with similar specs - but with a wider screen and number pad - for 300 USD.

I just went to http://www.cashyourlaptop.com (not sure how reliable they are) that said my laptop is worth 288 USD.

Thanks anyway.