Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Results, CPU cooling.

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Everyone.

More invollved doing tests than I thought it would be. Did to many images, lost some, not precise enough in labaling or taking notes. Here is what I ended up with.

Original post #1, http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry1885123
Post #2. http://www.geekstogo...extra-case-fan/

The cooler is very large so had to instal outside the case, screwed some temporary stand offs to the board to stop it flexing. On this Mobe, the chipset is so close to the CPU, stopping the retaining clips from engaging, installed with the fan blowing UP towards the top of the case. which has a 200mm top fan. No problems fitting the RAM.

Mobo. GA-EP41T-UD3L.
CPU. Intel Q8400, 2.66GHz.
Video. Asus EAH 4830, stock cooler.
Case. Antec Six Hundred, 200mm top fan @ half speed. replaced the rear fan with Noctua NF-S12B connedted to SYS1 fan header.
Cooler. Aywun R1-V8 connected directly to CPU fan header.
Side fan. Noctua NF-S12B using variable controller from Aywun pack set at half speed.
Tests done with 19C - 20C ambiant temps.

Images. Aywun cooler installed. #1 Idle, no side fan. #2 Burn, No side fan. #3 Idle, side fan as intake. #4 Burn, side fan as exhuast.
Moved the side fan to the front of the case, set at half speed. #5 idle. #6 Burn.

My first images with the CPU stock cooler and no side fan were lost but reading were 8C - 10C higher for idle and burn.
Installing a side fan for this case upset the flow of air, severly with it set as an exhuast, I stopped the burn test in case I did some damage.
Moving the fan to the front of the case improved cooling performance.
Aywun cooler $49AUD, Noctua fans $21AUD each. I think a good result and inexpensive.

Edited by iammykyl, 30 August 2010 - 11:25 PM.

Advertisements