Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to restore backed up files to a new laptop

• Please log in to reply

criptonite

criptonite

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Seagate external hard drive 500G (Lists as expansion drive)

I'm helping a friend who has a problem. He has a new laptop and wants some photo's and excel files that he backed up on his external hard drive. I think that possibly he didn't go through the restoring process properly when he first connected. Now he's only offered the option of viewing files or backing up his new laptop TO the drive.

I've found where his files (and the entire system, I think, as there are program files and application data stored, as well) are stored on the drive but they are spread across about 40 folders each with about 5 zip files of 2mb (I think). I suspect there's a process which restores them back to a more accessible format. I can't find that option in the manual though. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
You need to figure out what exactly he did to get those files onto the external hard drive, then use the same method to get them off of it.
In other words, how did those zip files get there? My guess is he used some third-party backup program. Try installing that same program on the laptop he's trying to restore the files to and see if you can go from there.

We need more information about those zip files, how they got there, or at least what appears to be in them. Without that, it's tough to have any idea about how to get to those files you're after.

Edited by W-Unit, 25 August 2010 - 02:15 AM.

criptonite

criptonite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
He used the Seagate program that's built into the drive. It activated when he first plugged in to his new laptop but hasn't since. I tried my laptop, figuring that, as it was new to the drive, it would activate...but it didn't.

You need to figure out what exactly he did to get those files onto the external hard drive, then use the same method to get them off of it.
In other words, how did those zip files get there? My guess is he used some third-party backup program. Try installing that same program on the laptop he's trying to restore the files to and see if you can go from there.

We need more information about those zip files, how they got there, or at least what appears to be in them. Without that, it's tough to have any idea about how to get to those files you're after.