Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Adapters Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply

TimothyVermeiren

TimothyVermeiren

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

After installing GNS3 and configuring a Microsoft Loopback Adapter, I rebooted my PC to make the Loopback Adapter appear in the program. However, after this reboot, none of my network adapters were working anymore!

Outside of the GNS3 context, I am not able to connect to my router, be it wireless or LAN. With wireless, the best I can get is a "limited connection", while in the adapter configuration screen, I see it as "enabled".

Even stranger, when I try ipconfig/all, the lan and wlan interfaces don't even show up. In netsh, I can see them though (but I have no idea what netsh can do, so I'm not touching that for now).

I tried uninstalling the devices, rebooting and reinstalling them, no luck. I deleted the loopback adapter and rebooted, didn't help (it is not in the registry anymore, either).

Maybe dynamips-wxp (comes with GNS3) changed some registry values or something, I don't know. I am clueless as to what I should do now.

If anyone has an idea to help, please share it.

Additional info: this is a laptop with two separate hard drives, and I have another W7 installation on the other hard drive which I am using right now so this isn't a hardware problem.

Also here is the output from ipconfig/all. I don't remember seeing Node Type: Hybrid there before but I'm not sure:

D:\Users\Timothy>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Timothy-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-37-A0-BD-05
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Have you been in device manager to see if the devices show up and are recognized?

TimothyVermeiren

TimothyVermeiren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Have you been in device manager to see if the devices show up and are recognized?

Yes, they do show up and the properties say (as usual) This device is working properly.

Also, the driver is up to date as it has just been reinstalled.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Have you tried a system restore to before you installed the software?

TimothyVermeiren

TimothyVermeiren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I was planning to do that, but before that I logged into another Windows Installation on the same machine.

I didn't know that this erases any restore points on other installations.... :) :)

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

I was planning to do that, but before that I logged into another Windows Installation on the same machine.

I didn't know that this erases any restore points on other installations.... :) :)

I don't think that is true. If you have another installation on a different partition or hard drive it shouldn't affect the system restore of your other windows installation. I think the system restore is the best option. The software probably created a restore point before installing so I would suggest rolling back the changes until then.

TimothyVermeiren

TimothyVermeiren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I don't think that is true. If you have another installation on a different partition or hard drive it shouldn't affect the system restore of your other windows installation. I think the system restore is the best option. The software probably created a restore point before installing so I would suggest rolling back the changes until then.

All of the restore points have been deleted... This is not an option I'm afraid :)

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Microsoft have a new tool out called Fix It which may help I don't know. The software can be found at: http://fixitcenter.s...soft.com/Portal

Also, I have copied the following from a Microsoft KB which aims to reset your TCP/IP settings. This may help......

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:
cmd
2. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
3. Reboot the computer.

When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol.

TimothyVermeiren

TimothyVermeiren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Microsoft have a new tool out called Fix It which may help I don't know. The software can be found at: http://fixitcenter.s...soft.com/Portal

Also, I have copied the following from a Microsoft KB which aims to reset your TCP/IP settings. This may help......

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:
cmd
2. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
3. Reboot the computer.

When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol.

Yes, I did reset tons of different settings using netsh...

But I am going to try that fix it toy in a moment...

TimothyVermeiren

TimothyVermeiren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

cmd
3. Reboot the computer.

Yes, I did reset tons of different settings using netsh...

But I am going to try that fix it toy in a moment...

How stupid is that program... You HAVE to be connected to the internet, but none of my adapters works, so that's a no-go...

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I haven't used that program before so I didn't realise internet access was required - Its a bit stupid since some of its features are to fix internet related issues. Anyway you seemed to have tried a lot of things with no luck and I'm nearly out of ideas (I've never experienced this problem before) and so my last bit of thinking was the following...

When you installed the software etc. extra "devices" would have been installed and when you uninstalled the software the devices may have remained. This might cause the issue whereby although you can configure the current network adapter (as seen in the Device Manager), no network activity can be achieved. Unfortunately these devices will not show directly in your device manager, so the following steps must be taken.

Open the command prompt with administrative access and type the following commands:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

This will start the Device Manager. It is important to start the Device Manager from the same command prompt, since it will lose the setting to show the non present devices. If you open the Device Manager from the Control panel, the hidden devices will not show.

When the Device Manager loads, from the File menu, expand the View and select the Show Hidden Devices option. This will enable and show any old un-used devices in the window. From here, expand the Network Adapters node and you can right click on the devices which are extra and delete them accordingly.

Hope this helps,

TimothyVermeiren

TimothyVermeiren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I haven't used that program before so I didn't realise internet access was required - Its a bit stupid since some of its features are to fix internet related issues. Anyway you seemed to have tried a lot of things with no luck and I'm nearly out of ideas (I've never experienced this problem before) and so my last bit of thinking was the following...

When you installed the software etc. extra "devices" would have been installed and when you uninstalled the software the devices may have remained. This might cause the issue whereby although you can configure the current network adapter (as seen in the Device Manager), no network activity can be achieved. Unfortunately these devices will not show directly in your device manager, so the following steps must be taken.

Open the command prompt with administrative access and type the following commands:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

This will start the Device Manager. It is important to start the Device Manager from the same command prompt, since it will lose the setting to show the non present devices. If you open the Device Manager from the Control panel, the hidden devices will not show.

When the Device Manager loads, from the File menu, expand the View and select the Show Hidden Devices option. This will enable and show any old un-used devices in the window. From here, expand the Network Adapters node and you can right click on the devices which are extra and delete them accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Okay I did this, and I got to see this:00001.JPG

Nothing too abnormal I think... And I don't see the Microsoft Loopback Adapter there. Keep in mind that I had already removed it from the registry. So I have no idea what to do now...

Does anyone see a piece of hardware that shouldn't be in the list...