Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adaware freezes during delete [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kat28

kat28

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi-
I would greatly appreciate help with this! I searched this forum for similar topics but have not found anyone with this problem, so could you please give me specific instructions?

I have AdAware SE build 1.05, SE1R47 24.05.2005 is installed.
I scan successfully, and quarantine successfully, but when trying to remove any objects, the 'deleting' bar freezes and hangs (for hours- I tried waiting it out once) without removing anything. I have to quit Adaware. When I re-open the program, there is a quarantine file from my last scan. I delete it. Then, I scan again and find more critical objects. What am I doing wrong?
I have reinstalled build 1.05 one time, but it did not change this problem.
I have attached my most recent quarantine item log.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Advertisements

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
Hello and Welcome

There are a number of options we can use in this situation. Firstly, please make sure you have the latest definition file: SE1R47 24.05.2005

We highly suggest doing a Disk Defragmentation and follow it with a thorough Check or Scan Disk, depending upon your version of Windows.

You could try scanning in: Safe mode

Another option is to try a command line:
1. Click "Start" > select "Run" > type the text shown in bold below (including the quotation marks and with the same spacing as shown)

"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\Ad-Aware.exe" +procnuke

Click OK.

Please note that the path above is of the default installion location for Ad-aware SE, if this is different, please adjust it to the location that you have installed it to.

2. When the scan has completed, select Next.
3. In the Scanning Results window, select the "Scan Summary" tab.
4. Check the box next to each "target family" you wish to remove.
5. Click next, Click OK.

If you still have a problem, cancel BEFORE the scan reaches the point of stalling -- say after 20 objects are detected. Then click cancel and click on the logfile. Remove any objects you choose and rescan. Again stop the scan before it reaches the point of stalling and remove any additional objects. Then try a full scan without stopping it.

Please let us know how you make out and which option worked.

All the best

Andy

russw

russw

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've been having the same problem and a search here revealed this thread, but I'll follow the rules(?) and post in a new topic. Tho I'm not sure how to link back to this thread for reference.

...russ

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
Have you tried these suggestions russw?

Also there is a new definition file out kat28, please update if successful!

:tazz:

kat28

kat28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi-
Thanks for the help. I now have the new version, which scans and deletes successfully. However, I still can't get rid of some essential malware, which AdAware says it cannot delete. I have tried rebooting and also tried manual deletion, both to no avail. Here are the names of the things that won't go away:
Program Files/Common Files/wintools/WToolsA.exe
Program Files/Common Files/wintools/WTOOLSB.DLL
Program Files/Common Files/wintools/WSup.exe
Program Files/toolbar/zwipvbh.wzg
Program Files/toolbar/TBPS.EXE
Program Files/toolbar/common.dll
Program Files/toolbar/PIB.exe
Program Files/toolbar/tpbs.dat
Program Files/toolbar/hhnlwfuvh.wzg
Program Files/toolbar/nzqlihv.wzg
Program Files/toolbar/yywr.wzg
Program Files/toolbar/yywsv.wzg

Again, your help is much appreciated!

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
Did one of the above suggestions work?

Please could you post your latest full system scan logfile with the newest definition file.
:tazz:

kat28

kat28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi-
I have solved my problems by uninstalling WebSearch Toolbar and Win-Tools Easy Installer, as per a reply to another post.
Thanks!

Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.