Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer fails when opening "My Videos" folder

• Please log in to reply

JohnnyDoodle

JohnnyDoodle

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Windows Explorer works fine except when I try to open the "My Videos" folder. Then it abruptly stops, with the error message shown in the attachment. This began to happen after I created a large video file with Studio 10. At the same time, my computer stopped opening other programs, and that got worse very quickly - to the point that no programs would open without running in Safe Mode. "Rorschach112" in the Malware Forum worked with me to eliminate my malware problem, but Windows Explorer still doesn't work. Rorschach112 said it is definitely not a virus or malware problem, and he sent me here.

I have also never been able to get System Restore to work (although that may be because I have only tried it when I have had a virus that I wanted to get rid of).

I do NOT have a Windows installation CD - when I purchased my Dell Dimension 9100 it only came with a note from Dell saying that I don't need one! I am running Windows XP Professional.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 25 10.37.jpg

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
See if this helps:

Go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
To re-enable it: regsvr32 shmedia.dll

Added info:

AVI Search Remove (Line 74)
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Manual:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to the key below and delete the default
data (right pane).

Or:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shel lex\PropertyHandler

Windows Stops Responding When You Click a Large AVI File in Windows
Explorer" http://support.micro...om/?kbid=822430

JohnnyDoodle

JohnnyDoodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
After trying the Command Line recommendation above, Windows Explorer worked temporarily but now will not open at all. I am wary of the other recommendations, but I appreciate the attempt to help.

Can one of the "experts" please offer a solution?

ADDED LATER: Upon rebooting and trying again, the initial Command Line recommendation worked, and it continues to work. I would prefer a permanent solution that allows all the info in the My Videos folder to be shown (the file size is no longer shown), but I will settle for this.

Thanks for your help, Alzeimer.

Edited by JohnnyDoodle, 29 August 2010 - 11:53 AM.