Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

AIM is possesed help

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My friend Lisa (XP home edition) has AOL 9.0 se security edition. She asked me to help cause she cannot seem to stay online very long at a time. Her AOL keeps crashing, and her Instant Messenger is possesed.
Everytime she reboots her internet explorer options are changed.
The one that keeps making her crash we pinned down, in advanced internet options: Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connection keeps on re-checking itself, she unchecks it.
Then she can stay online without crashing. But everytime she reboots it is checked again. (IE 6.0 with sp2)
She is not connecting through a proxy, so why do the settings keep going back to that?
OK well that is simple enough to reset that everytime you turn on the computer, but now when she is talking on AOL Instant Messenger (the one that came with the AOL se 9.0 security edition) Every message that is sent to her she receives twice.

What she has tried to fix it: First she ran a spyware scan with ad-aware, then with spybot S&D, then with bazooka. She fixed all the problems there. Next she ran a Avast virus scan. that found nothing. (YES all of these programs are kept up to date on her machine) Then per my advice she went to windows update to make sure her computer was up to date. And it is. Lastly she uninstalled and reinstalled AOL.
If anyone knows about this please help!!
thanks lizzyhock

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Service pack 2 can do some weird things to internet connections.... If possible, I'd backtrack over to Sp1 and see how that works. Good Luck