Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Facebook Cell Phone Verification

• Please log in to reply

idk

idk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

Does anyone know of a way to get a verfication code for facebook without a cell phone? I can't access my account. When I log in, it gives me the following message:

Confirm your identity by adding a mobile number to your account

Add your phone

Step 1: Choose your carrier

Step 2: Using your mobile phone, send a text message containing only the letter "f" (without quotes) to 32665 (FBOOK).*

Step 3: In a few seconds, you should receive a text message that contains your mobile activation code. If you haven't received a code after a few minutes, please repeat Step #2.

Once again, I don't have a cell phone, so I can't do this. I tried doing it on Google SMS, but I didn't get a text back. Do you have any suggestions, other than asking someone for their cell phone number? Any websites where facebook texting would work on? Any input would very much be appreciated!!!

Advertisements

Jaan

Jaan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I am having the same issue as you are. Fb is asking for my mobile number to be confirmed and just like i dont have one either....did u find a way to get around this road block? :) I have contacted FACEBOOk but no reply so far =(
Please let me know if u were able to login back to your account or figure out the problem. Thank you

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I had to search to find out what the verification was for. I use Facebook but I am not real good at it.

In a nutshell it is being used to decrease the spam that is being placed on the pages by users. They are trying to cut spam down by using the "captchas" (funky letters you have to type in and can't read half the time".

Read about Captchas

Facebook Help Center

Unfortunately I only came across 3 possibilities.
1. Use a disposable phone as a temporary measure to verify the account.
2. Add someone else as a administrator.
3. Some comments I found state that the verification goes away when you have a lot of posts. (I can not confirm that)

The best way is to just live with the captchas because they verify you are a known person and are not spamming.

Jaan

Jaan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I had to search to find out what the verification was for. I use Facebook but I am not real good at it.

In a nutshell it is being used to decrease the spam that is being placed on the pages by users. They are trying to cut spam down by using the "captchas" (funky letters you have to type in and can't read half the time".

Read about Captchas

Facebook Help Center

3. Some comments I found state that the verification goes away when you have a lot of posts. (I can not confirm that)

The best way is to just live with the captchas because they verify you are a known person and are not spamming.

:)
It doesn't like you understand our issue here. This is not the captchas issue! We can't seem to get into our account because once we login with our email and password...we're hit with a road block as here: ttps://ssl.facebook.com/roadblock/... telling us to confirm our identity by providing them a mobile number. Once that's done, we have to TXT fb from mobile to get a confirmation code...! I dont have a mobile..neither do I plan to get a dummy one! Why the frig shud I have to spent a penny on this? FACEBOOk shouldn't have to invade our privacy like this and ask to give them our mobile against our well just to be able to continue to access our account! It's outrageous! :) I swear they have me really outraged!!!

What should we do? I tried giving it my home line number in hopes of getting rid of this road block..now I am stuck at the confirmation code screeen & can't access my account!!!!!!!!!!1

idk

idk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for taking your time out to try to answer my question. (123Runner). Unfortunately, like the other user said, I'm unable to get into my account to add administrators. When I log in I have to enter a cell phone number in order to continue. Like I said, I don't have a cell phone and I don't want to spend the money on a disposable phone. You need a cell phone because facebook is then supposed to text you a verification code. You have to enter that verification code in order to have your account restored. If you hear anything about these phone blocks, I'd really appreciate any input. It happened to a friend of mine as well. He was able to unblock his account, but then a few days later it got blocked again. Facebook wouldn't allow him to use the same cell phone number to restore it.

If I'm able to get my account restored, I'll look into your suggestion of adding administrators and such.

Please help if you have any ideas. I miss facebook :)

Belle2

Belle2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello All,
I was new to Facebook, and have been having the mobile verification problem for three weeks now. I can't login. I gave a cell number, but still can't log in, and haven't seen anything on my new cell phone to even know that something has taken place (unfortunately, I'm not familiar with texting either). My main problem for not being able to log onto my FB page, is that I created a business page from my personal page, and now, I have no access to my business page! I have a new online store which has a clearly marked link to FB, but I can't access it to add store updates, etc. I need to know how I can gain access to my business page, or if there is a way to re-register the same business page?
I was initially reluctant to join FB,and now, my name and interest are listed there without my option to even remove it. Any suggestions appreciated.

P.S. Unfortunately, I don't know what "sign up under another administrator means".

Evelyn.l

Evelyn.l

• Pip
  • 1 posts
did anyone get reply from fb how to access our accounts??? my mobile can't even send sms to 32665 and Telenor IS listed there! :/ so i'm really....pissed is so small word for how i really feel :)

Belle2

Belle2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
While searching the web (can't recall address),I found a page which advised that a certain Facebook Form be completed to receive help. I completed the form, and received the response listed below:

Hi,

Thanks for contacting Facebook. Before we respond personally, please review
these common questions and answers regarding this feature, which may be able to
help you more quickly. If your question isn't answered here, please follow the
instructions at the bottom of this email to contact us.

1. I want to get rid of captcha, request a username, or upload longer videos,
but I'm having trouble verifying my account.

2. I tried to activate my mobile texts (receive notifications on my phone
through text) but I didn’t receive a confirmation code text.

3. How do I upload photos from my phone?

4. I signed up with my mobile phone number and now I can’t log in.

5. I can’t log in to m.facebook.com on my phone. It keeps telling me to log in
again.

Q: I'm having trouble verifying my account.
A: Please try requesting a few more codes if you have not yet received a code to
verify your account. If you receive an error message that you have reached the
code limit, please wait a couple of days before trying to verify with your
mobile phone again. To verify your account with your mobile phone, request codes
at the following page:

https://register.fac...onfirmphone.php

If you are seeing any other error, please reply to this email with a description
of the error.

Q: I tried to activate my mobile texts (receive notifications on my phone
A: Please try sending “On” (without quotation marks) instead of “f” to the same
number. Also, make sure that your phone does not include a signature at the end
of your text messages. This can interfere with Facebook Mobile correspondence.
Finally, be sure that outgoing texts are still included in your service plan.

Unfortunately, if this still does not resolve your problem, you will have to
contact your mobile carrier or wait until a later time to try activating this
feature again.

Q: How do I upload photos from my phone?
A: You can use your personalized upload email address to email a photo/video
from your computer or mobile phone. The uploaded content will then appear in
your Mobile Uploads album.

To see what your personalized upload email is, please log into your account,
then go to the following link:

http://www.facebook.com/mobile

Q: I signed up with my mobile phone number and now I can’t log in.
A: If you signed up for Facebook from your mobile phone, you can log in with
your phone number and the password you created at sign up. Please be sure to
enter your entire phone number, including country code, but without any zeros,
plus symbols, or other special characters.

Q: I can’t log in to m.facebook.com on my phone. It keeps telling me to log in
again.
A: This is likely a cache or cookies problem. To fix it, please follow these
instructions carefully.

1. Though you may have already done so, please clear your mobile device’s cache
and cookies. You can usually do this from an option menu when your mobile
browser is open. Please consult your user’s guide to determine how to do this on
your particular device.

2. Enter http://m.facebook.com as a new URL, rather than using a bookmark or a
link. Log out of Facebook if you have the option.

3. Enter your normal login details to log in. Please note that passwords are
case sensitive.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 as needed.

To recap, the answers covered above are:

1. I'm having trouble verifying my account.

2. I tried to activate my mobile texts (receive notifications on my phone

3. How do I upload photos from my phone?

4. I signed up with my mobile phone number and now I can’t log in.

5. I can’t log in to m.facebook.com on my phone. It keeps telling me to log in
again.

If your question is not in the list above, please reply to this email with any
details that will help us to resolve your issue.

Thanks,

The Facebook Team

paul 1965

paul 1965

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Read about Captchas

Facebook Help Center

In a nutshell mate, it's not really about stopping spam at all, eventually everyone will be required to add a number and this is because it links not only to an identity but also to the cell phone geographic location.

Sure you CAN get a pre paid SIM card for about £1 and if you are lucky enough to be able to activate it without the use of a credit or debit card you can top it up with a voucher you buy with cash.

Then you can use it to activate your Facebook/Youtube etc and throw it away.

You CAN but who does that really?

It's all just the start of getting everybody on a tighter grid. No doubt a lot of people will fall for the propoganda about pedos and bullying too as a means of ensuring we end up having to provide DNA in order to verify our accounts.

Enjoy it while it lasts, the free internet is doomed

sw new york

sw new york

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been reluctant to join Facebook and finally took the plunge last Friday. Set up the account, asked for friends and filled out my profile. When I tried logging in again about an hour later I received the same "confirm your identity" request. When I filled out my profile I did not list ANY phone numbers. So asking me to confirm my identity with a cell phone is absurd, since anyone who had my password could do that. Facebook has nothing to check the number against, so how do they know it's actually me? This cell phone request is obviously just being asked to mine information. I refuse to give them a cell phone number. When you fill out your profile they ask a security question why don't they use that to confirm your identity. This cell phone business seems like a new thing and I hope they realize how much this is pissing people off.

There is a link for other verification on the request but if it works (which it rarely links to anything) it brings you back to their home page.

Any help on how to bypass this bogus request is much appreciated. They tell you that you can also put in a college email (which I have) but in order to do that you have to log in!!! It's a catch 22.

Advertisements

Belle2

Belle2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The message listed below is the last I received from Facebook which was really helpful. As I result of this message, I quit wasting my time and set up a new account. The message indicates that not all phones will be verified for a few reasons. My phone is prepaid, so I'm assuming this is at least one reason why my verification didn't work. The other reasons listed could be true as well. See a portion of the message below:

"Please note that we cannot guarantee mobile verification for all users. You may
not be able to verify for a number of reasons. One possible reason is that your
mobile phone plan may not include SMS functionality. Also, your carrier may not
be supported on our end, your phone might be pre-paid, or you may be
experiencing carrier update problems. We have made note of your situation and
will work to offer this feature to more users in the future."

Belle2

Belle2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I now need to know how I can deactivate a page that I no longer have access to?

mikethemerciless

mikethemerciless

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You don't have to do any of this. FB is wanting to check that you are human, not a spambot - so just use anyone's phone - the number doesn't have to correspond with the one on your FB account (this is why they still ask you even if you haven't added a number to your FB account). Spambots can't work a phone because they're made of cyber twigs, and FB knows this. To stop whomever's phone you use from then receiving mobile updates, text 'stop' once you have received the reactivation code.

HonoreSuzanne

HonoreSuzanne

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks for the advice, 123Runner, but how do you "just live with the captchas" if it means you can't get into your account at all? Facebook leaves no way to get in without a cell phone or a university email address, which presumably must be one you did not use to set up your account (see below.)

Belle2, unfortunately, none of those help topics describes how to get the required text msg security code sent to a cell phone that doesn't exist.

And mikethemerciless, you are right that this captcha thing has nothing to do with the phone number listed on your account, but as to your other suggestion, what if all your family and friends already used their phones for their own facebook account verifications? That is my situation, my entire array of family and friends also use fb. Some of them, however, cannot afford cell phones, and you can't use the same number on two different accounts, so they are just tossed out in the cold like so much trash.

I'm with you, Jaan, Evelyn.l, idk, and sw in new york. This whole thing is absurd, and it seems incredibly self-destructive behavior by facebook. I miss it too, and I'm angry, but that sure doesn't help.

So far, I've found no workarounds that don't cost a heap of money. According to facebook's help (click help at the bottom of the mobile phone captcha window) the only alternative to the cell phone is joining a college or university network on facebook, and then providing an .edu email address for that same university. But, uh... wouldn't you HAVE TO GET IN FIRST????

Un ------- believable!!!

I've heard there's a good reason that site is called "face book." It could be that they've simply collected all the faces they need from everyone loading up their personal photos, and they have more than enough to sell to the biometric companies developing facial recognition software, that they can now afford to play games with their members' accounts. Who knows, but it sure makes me think. It just happens that the accounts I know that have been "roadblocked" are the ones with few actual human photos, or none at all. Food for thought.

Edited by HonoreSuzanne, 10 September 2010 - 10:35 PM.

Belle2

Belle2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just found out that adding a new account is against Facebook rules. Uh, oh! Wonder how long it will be before I'm asked to supply a cell phone number for the new page! I guess I should add another email account so I can still get in some how! It's terrible, because this isn't happening to everyone. Perhaps it's because many of them are already using their cell phones.

Edited by Belle2, 12 September 2010 - 11:10 AM.