Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reg cleaner

• Please log in to reply

wiz56

wiz56

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I've noticed there are no reg cleaners on the downloads. and I realise that I for one am not an expert lol.. wondering if the staff or other would recomend a reg cleaner for dummies :) Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Wiz66.

You won't find them as you realy have to know what you are doing when altering or removing reg entries. Just one mistake can trash your system or make it do strange things.

I'm a dummy, so the only software I use is Revo Uninstaller > http://www.revouninstaller.com/ It is not a reg cleaner but it does remove reg entries left bhind by the
normal program uninstaller, also has other useful tools. You still use it at your own risk. I have had no problems in 2 yours of use.

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Geeks to Go does not advocate the use of registry cleaners, as they can cause serious issues. Sometimes, damage may be minimal, but in certain cases the computer maybe left completely inoperable.
Registry cleaners have no way of knowing whether an entry is needed or not, sometimes deleting crucial entries. In addition to this, the registry is very small and has minimal impact on the speed of the computer.
There is no need to use registry cleaners.

Thanks,
Taomech

Edited by taomech, 26 August 2010 - 03:01 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

wiz56

wiz56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok thanks. so its the hooks and calls that slow things up? and those are left over sometimes. being a dummy I'm now sure if the reg entrys allow those to happen or if its left over parts of programs.. lol I need to learn alot more.
Thanks for the great advice!
wiz56

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Left over Reg keys from old removed programs will just sit there so won't slow you down.
Common things that slow the system are, lots of background aplications running, doing too much at once, ie, P2P, logged on to facebook, burning a DVD and playing the Simms. A badly pragmented drive,, memory leaks, overheating and I'm sure there a lots more.

Of cours if you have a land crueser PC!!!!