Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting up wireless printer without CD...

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey everyone,

I have a bit of an odd problem. I have the Brother HL-2170W wireless printer and I have set it up to work on my wireless network. The way I did this is by running the utility off of the CD that was supplied with the printer. It is currently set up and working properly on both my desktop (ethernet) and laptop (wireless). Now, I want it to be set up wirelessly on a Mac computer running OSX 10.6.4. The only problem is that the CD Drive isn't working on it and that is the only way I know how to add new computers to work wirelessly with this printer.

I have tried using all of the solutions on the Brother website (which includes installing the latest version of CUPS, and trying the BRAdmin Light Utility), but the best I could get is printing via USB. I would like to avoid doing this if possible since the built-in print server (for whatever reason) seems to "forget" all about the wireless settings when another computer uses the USB. This forces me to reconfigure everything again for wireless use, via the utility on the CD.

Does anyone know of some way to set up the wireless connection from the Mac to the Brother Printer without having to use the CD? I realize this is a long shot, but I am out of ideas and would really like to get this all working.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Repair/replace the CD drive on the Mac?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Edited by SpywareDr, 26 August 2010 - 03:16 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Repair/replace the CD drive on the Mac?

Or share the CD unit on another machine across the network, pop the CD into that machine and set it up from there.
Alternatively external USB drive.
Or copy contents of CD on another computer to a pen drive or similar and run it from there. It is the contents of the CD, not the CD itself, that the OP is interested in.

More than one way out of this problem.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Or copy contents of CD on another computer to a pen drive or similar and run it from there.

Tried that, but I am not sure which file I need to run on the Mac. Everything in there that looks like some kind of installer is ".exe" or ".ini", so I am not sure what to do from this point. When I would insert the CD in the past (i.e. when the CD drive was still working), it would run the installer automatically, but I am not sure which file it is running.

Regarding Windows/Mac hardware driver CDs, which file format would be the one to look out for to run it manually on a Mac?

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, insert your cd in another drive and open to see files/folders. look for AUTORUN.INF file. double click to open. it should say...OPEN= xxxxx.EXE. this is the .exe file you require, just double click it.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
autorun 1.JPG

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
.exe files don't run on a Mac. AFAIK, they are Windows specific.

I know there is some way to run the contents of this CD on a Mac, but I just don't know how to do it manually. Always just seemed to work after popping in the CD.

Sounds like there isn't an easy solution to this problem short of replacing the internal CD Drive or getting an external CD Drive, both of which I don't really think is worth paying for just to get a printer driver.

I'll keep searching for a solution...

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, go to this link and download directly to your mac and run. it has instruction how to.

http://welcome.solut...&dlid=dlf003729

this is the utility to set up your wireless printer

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, i have just read this.........

http://welcome.solut...70w_all&Cat=101

when your mac cd was working did you use the cd you have to install the wireless setup & did it work as the brother site states that the cd is for os 10.5 not 10.6.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I tried the BRAdmin Light utility and it could recognize the printer over a wireless connection. So... progress!

The only problem was that the printer could only print wirelessly when I searched for the file manually through this utility rather than through the application, which would be a bit of a hassle.

That's when I noticed the printer list actually had two different choices for the printer:
Brother HL-2170W Series <--- Older
Brother HL-2170W Series - 1 <--- Newer (this was the one that was selected by Default)

Every time I saw these two settings next to each other, I figured the Newer choice was the correct one. I switched to the Older setting and now everything works perfectly.

I guess the Older setting was set to use the wireless print server from before and the Newer one was created when first using the USB connection. At least that is what I am assuming...

Anyways... Thanks for your help, everyone. Much appreciated. :)

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
thanks for your reply, it might help someone else and well done. you sorted that out pretty well. :)