Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Saving Mode on LG Monitor problem

• Please log in to reply

cantbootwindowsxp

cantbootwindowsxp

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have 2 identical Asus desktop computers bought in 2006 which are having major problems...
my first computer is here on this link...
http://www.geekstogo...20#entry1891720

But I have created this 'Power Saving Mode on LG Monitor problem' thread for my 2nd Asus computer...

I want to explain everything I have done on this computer over the last 24 hours so you know the situation and why it is problematic...
first of all this computer had been known to have problems not restarting properly, and yesterday when I started it up it was great...I put AVG on it, updated Windows, and downloaded IE7 with 44 other Windows updates, as well as getting rid of IE7 command bar, and google search box which I find unnecessary...and it was all good, and it asked to me to restart after the updates and sure enough when I tried to restart it shut down out of Windows but did not restart properly, instead it just sort of hibernates, not totally powered off and not trying to restart either, and I had to press power button to boot...then everything was OK in Windows, so I tried restarting again but it did the same as before so I pressed power button again...

then I tried shutting down altogether via Start button, but it would not, so I researched it and I checked the BIOS to see if there was anything there that could be affecting restart and power down, but BIOS asked for a password which I didn't have, so then back in Windows I followed 2 different registry fixes that were the following...

fix#1...in regedit: HKEYCURRENTUSER, Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Explorer...the value of CleanShutdown needs to be changed from 0 to 1...

fix#2...in regedit: HKEYLOCALMACHINE, Software, Microsoft, WindowsNT, CurrentVersion, WinLogon...the value of PowerdownAfterShutdown needs to be changed from 0 to 1...

I did these 2 fixes OK, tried to restart the computer which again did not restart properly, but then when I was back in Windows I tried restarting, and it then restarted the way it should, then I tried powering down fully via Start and it did! So the registry fixes solved that problem...I then dowwnloaded all the media players and apps I would normally have on a computer, including the free version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware which often picks up alot of malware and viruses and trojans that AVG paid version misses, and then transferred some video files into my documents using full AVG USB scan each time I importing files via USB...then I power down fine and went to bed...

today it powered up fine, then I tried installing a Nero CD which would not accept the serial number I entered because Nero was already installed on the first Asus Bad Sector computer, and Nero only allows one computer to run it at a time, but I can;t uninstall off the first computer as its inaccessible...so I gave up trying to install Nero on the second computer and will wait for their response,

and then just hours ago I downloaded a Windows Update for Cumulative Update for IE7, and update for security for IE7, they downloaded fine then it asked me to restart...the restart problem came back again...however this time when I tried to boot up using the power button the LG monitor says 'Power Saving Mode' for a few seconds then goes black and stays as a black screen...when I attempted to plug the first Asus Bad Sector computer with exact same cable and with a different cable and with different power boards all times the video output of the first computer was recognised by the monitor (even though it was just the Bad Sector computer saying disk not readable) - and it was not in 'Power Saving Mode' and had the LED light power display as green the way it should be...but this 2nd Asus computer with the restart problem when I boot up it only stays on green for a few seconds and then goes straight to 'Power Saving Mode' and stays there with an amber colour on the LED meaning it is in sleep or hibernation mode...

The monitor is LG L192WS-SN
http://newchocolate....duct-profile#LG

Asus Athlon 64 Dual Core Processor 3600+
160 gig(approx 135 gig free space on C drive just before the crash)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7
AVG 9.0 Internet Security

BIOS Main Menu:

Legacy Diskette A: 1.44 M, 3.5 in.
Primary IDE Master: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW
Primary IDE Slave: None
Secondary IDE Master: None
Secondary IDE Slave: None
SATA1: SAMSUNGHD160JJ
SATA2: None
SATA3: None
SATA4: None
HDD SMART Monitoring: Enabled

Also I can't access the monitor menu when its in this mode...so it is not a fault of the monitor as it can see the output of the first Bad Sector computer 'disk unreadbale press ctrl-alt-del' screen, but cant see the output of the 2nd computer that has restart problems...from the actions I have done in the last 24 hours on the 2nd computer above, what is the most likely cause for this 'Power Saving Mode' to stay on the whole time?...Is there any way I can turn off 'Power Saving Mode'?...if it is a cooling problem how do I fix that, and if it is a matter of unplugging video graphics card then plugging it back in again will that alter anything or any settings in the computer?...Boot CDs are no good because nothing from this 2nd computer is being output to the monitor while the 'Power Saving Mode' is happening...could it be powerboard issues or something else?...it could very well be IE7 download problems, particularly the IE7 cumulative update, as I got problems with both computers just after changing IE7...with the first bad sector computer my problem began hust after uninstalling andthen reinstalling IE7, and then this 2nd computer has problems just after the IE7 update...should I take it to a computer shop who will give me a quote for $30 and charge $59 for an hour labour if needed? If you have any advice at all, please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by cantbootwindowsxp, 27 August 2010 - 06:44 AM.

Advertisements

cantbootwindowsxp

cantbootwindowsxp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Can anyone help with this?

Upcoming when I take the computer to the repair store, if they say its a graphics card problem, should I take the good graphics card out of the other computer I have and put it in this computer? I have 2 identical Asus computers...it appears one has a bad hard drive and a good graphics card, and the other computer has a good hard drive but a problem with the graphics card.

Also can AVG send a computer into hibernation mode or make a monitor not read the signal from the PC which then switches monitor into Power Saving Mode?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by cantbootwindowsxp, 28 August 2010 - 06:21 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Try swapping the card before taking it to the repair store it could save you a lot of trouble.
You could also install the second hard drive and set it as slave and try and get any data of it you
might want to retrieve, you could then format it and do a fresh install of the OS.
Make sure you disconnect the power cord from the wall before opening the case and take anti static
precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the
case.
Take the opportunity to make sure the inside is free of heat trapping dust and to check that all
connections are secure + remove and reseat the Ram to make sure it is seated correctly.

Also can AVG send a computer into hibernation mode or make a monitor not read the signal from the PC which then switches monitor into Power Saving Mode?

Highly unlikely but I wouldn`t like to say it was impossible (if the AVG programme was itself corrupt)
If you require assistance with the above I will be happy to help.

cantbootwindowsxp

cantbootwindowsxp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for getting back to me.

First of all I'm not certain there is a problem with the graphics card but people have told me that could be a cause of the monitor going straight to Power Saving Mode then staying in black, basically no signal coming through from PC to monitor.

Is this the mostly likely cause?

Post #1 details everything I did on the computer in the leadup to the constant Power Saving Mode message on the monitor.

If you can have a look at that and tell me if anything that I did could have caused this it would be very much appreciated, or if it just sounds like its a graphics card or motherboard related problem.

Since then I have tried plugging the PC into a different(but identical LG) monitor with the same result, and when I plugged my other computer with bad hard drive not being read into the monitors its output was at least read by the monitors(even though just a disk read error screen due to bad hard drive) - and no Power Saving Mode issue, so its obviously something to do with the PC, not the monitor.

Could you let me know exactly how to swap the graphics card over to the other computer and if that will change any settings on my computer? Also do I need to install any CDs again for the swapped graphics card to work properly in the new computer if it is an identical graphics card going into an identical computer? I'm not sure I still have any CDs that would relate to the graphics card, if there ever was any(my Dads computer tech organised that ages ago.)

As I don't really know what I'm doing inside a computer, I may just take both my computers to the store, and get him to pull the working graphics card out of the computer with the bad hard drive and put it into the computer that has the good hard drive and bad graphics card and see if that works, then at least I will know that it is done right and correctly...they will look at the computer with Power Saving Mode problem and give me a free quote...They said for them to switch one graphics card from one computer to another they wouldn't charge very much at all...does this sound like an OK option to try and solve the problem, as I'm sure they would be able to tell fairly quickly if the Power Saving Mode on the monitor with no PC output is graphics card related or not.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by cantbootwindowsxp, 28 August 2010 - 09:26 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I cannot see anything in post #1 that would suggest it is anything you have done, these things happen.
The sensible approach to working on computers is only take on the job if your confident you can achieve it safely and do some research first.
Have a look at the tutorial by Troy here http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/
One more thing you could try is taking the CR2032 battery out of the motherboard for a few minutes and then replace it, this will restore the MB back to the factory settings and if the board has onboard video it should be re-enabled thus giving you your screen back, what is your MB make and model so I can look it up.
Note the CR2032 battery is silver in colour and can be seen in the photographs provided by Artellos for the tutorial, both of these tasks are simple if you are careful.

Edited by phillpower2, 29 August 2010 - 03:35 PM.

cantbootwindowsxp

cantbootwindowsxp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi the motherboard in both Asus computers is:

Nvidia NF-430-N-A3

The video card in both is:

7300 LE PCI E 256MB DDR2 TV-OUT DVI

The specs for both identical computers are listed in post #1

I see the small circular silver battery attatched to the motherboard, is that the one you mean?

Should I take that out for a few minutes, obviously with the power off, and then put it back?

Will doing this lose any settings or data from the hard drive, or cause me to have to reinstall anything, or change anything within the computer?

If its a motherboard problem could this fix it or not?

What will taking the battery out actually fix?

If taking the battery out sets motherboard to factory settings, what will be lost, like what exactly will be changed when using the computer after that? Will anything need to be reinstalled or any menus or settings reset or anything like that, or if taking the battery out gives me proper output to the monitor again I can just continue as normal without having to worry about anything else?

With attempting to switch the good video card from the computer with bad hard drive to the computer with the good hard drive and possibly bad video card, is it just a matter of pulling it out of its socket in motherboard and putting it in that exact same socket in the other motherboard? If I make that switch and the problem is still there would that mean it would be either a problem with motherboard or the video out socket connector on the back of computer which outputs to the LG monitor input?

Importantly, if I do switch video cards over, will I need to run any CDs to make the new(but identical model) video card run properly in the new computer? Will the video card switch change anything at all in the computer or will anything be lost?

Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi the motherboard in both Asus computers is:

Nvidia NF-430-N-A3

This is the MB chipset and not the board itself, we need to know if the MB has onboard graphics.

I see the small circular silver battery attached to the motherboard, is that the one you mean?

Yes that is the one I mean and yes remove it for a few moments and then replace it whilst the power cord is removed.

Will doing this lose any settings or data from the hard drive, or cause me to have to reinstall anything, or change anything within the computer?

No, No and yes, if the screen does come up you will need to go into the BIOS and re-set the time and date save and exit.

If its a motherboard problem could this fix it or not?

Dependent on what the problem is, it will not fix a bad gfx or Ram slot for example but it can clear a bad MB setting.

If taking the battery out sets motherboard to factory settings, what will be lost, like what exactly will be changed when using the computer after that? Will anything need to be reinstalled or any menus or settings reset or anything like that, or if taking the battery out gives me proper output to the monitor again I can just continue as normal without having to worry about anything else?

Nothing will be lost, only the time and date will need to be re-set, if it is exactly the same video card the drivers will already be installed on the HDD.
You seem to be asking the same questions in a roundabout way so I need to summarize so you are clear;
We need to know the brand name and model of the MB, this info can usually be found by the CPU or pci slots and some around the edge of the MB, this may include a rev.no.
Removing the MB battery will not affect anything on the hard drive, only the time and date needs to be re-set in the BIOS, nothing will need re-installing.
If the system does work as it should after removing/replacing the MB battery you will not need to do anything else, just do some general tidying up such as a defrag of the HDD etc.
If you still get no screen swap out the gfx card, if you still get no screen remove the Ram and try it one stick at a time in each slot to see if it highlights a bad stick or a bad slot, if this does not work try the Ram out of the other system and do the same tests.
Let us know how it goes.

cantbootwindowsxp

cantbootwindowsxp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for your reply.

Before the Power Saving Mode problem I tried to enter the BIOS but it asked for a password.

I have not set any password for it, either has my Dad or his computer tech, so is there a default password or way around this without having to reinstall Windows or anything else?

Could my failed attempt at the password in BIOS before the Power Saving Mode problem have caused the no signal to monitor ('Power Saving Mode')?

Will removing battery then putting it back get rid of the password in BIOS hopefully?

So a defrag of HDD will be definately necessary after BIOS date and time change?

How is a defrag done, in BIOS as well? I've never done one.

Is there anything else other than a defrag I will need to do?

For the motherboard does this sound right?

Asus M2NPV-VM/V2-AH2/DP_MB<GA>...if thats not it let me know.

Thanks so much again for your help!

Edited by cantbootwindowsxp, 29 August 2010 - 09:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please check the user manual at this link and confirm it is the correct one; http://www.manualnguide.com/dl/10311/

I have not set any password for it, either has my Dad or his computer tech, so is there a default password or way around this without having to reinstall Windows or anything else?

Helping people to overcome passwords is not the done thing Im afraid, this is for obvious reasons and I hope you understand.
If the user manual I have provided the link to is yours read it fully and it will answer a lot of your questions.
I suggested defragging your HDD purely to improve system performance, it is nothing to do with the BIOS but part of system tools, it is not necessary to do a defrag to resolve this issue.

cantbootwindowsxp

cantbootwindowsxp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for your reply.

What I am saying is...

If I do take the battery out and cant get into BIOS to change time and date will it be a major problem, like is the date and time change 100% necessary...for some reason there is a password on our computer on the BIOS menu when there shouldn't be...no problem if you don't want to help with the BIOS password I'll get that done at a computer shop, but if you can tell me if the battery removal will need a time and date change for sure that would be great, because if so I obviously can't try that method now.

For the motherboard the manual on the link you provided would not download but the number I gave you is clearly written in 2 different locations on the motherboard...if you can tell me if a straight swap over of video cards will be OK to try the good video card and put it into the computer with good hard drive, it will be appreciated.

Also will swapping the video card over need any BIOS changes or any system changes in Windows once, hopefully, the output of the computer is OK on the monitor, with hopefully no Power Saving Mode problems this time.

Cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If I do take the battery out and cant get into BIOS to change time and date will it be a major problem

You will be able to get into BIOS as removing the battery for a few moments removes All previous settings, just re-set the time and date>save and exit (usually F10).
The manual takes a while to download, just click on view/download and leave it for a while that is what I did.
Swapping the card should just be one out and one in, no changes in BIOS or to Windows.

cantbootwindowsxp

cantbootwindowsxp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK brilliant thanks very much!

So the battery change could actually solve both problems, possibly the Power Saving Mode problem...and definately get rid of the password which should not be there in the first place in BIOS, which would then allow my to change date and time.

If the battery removal does not work re the Power Saving Mode problem, then I'll try swapping the video card over with the power off.

If both those options don't work for the Power Saving Mode problem I'll take it to a repair shop, or put a new hard drive into the other computer which does output to the monitor properly, and has a working video card.

I will let you know how it goes.

All the best.

Edited by cantbootwindowsxp, 30 August 2010 - 09:26 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok thanks and good luck