Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Access

• Please log in to reply

moworm

moworm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a wired network run from a standard (non-wireless) router/modem with broadband, this is supplied by our service provider and is the one supported by them. I have wall mounted network sockets in the office but could do with some wireless connectivity.
Is there any device that I can plug into a wall socket network point that will give access to our wired network services (other PCs, broadband etc)
I have tried plugging a wireless router (under the advice of PC World) into one of the network points but can only get broadband but not see the other machines on the wired network, on the ones directly using that router.
Please can you help.
Many thanks

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
If you could explain your setup a bit more it might help. What happens if you plug a cable into the wall socket can you access the other PC's then? I have a sneaky suspicion the settings on your router need changed. Basically, there is no other device you should need as wireless routers have built-in switches. If you could reply with the make and model of your wireless router that would help and also what happened before you added the router ie. all computers could communicate. The more info the quicker we can solve this issue. Thanks,

moworm

moworm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I have an incoming broadband line going into a 4 port router/modem. Each of the 4 ports are wired to wall mounted network sockets.
I have 2 desktop PC and 2 laptops plugged directly into the wall sockets. All machines can access broadband and see each other and shared files, printing etc.
I have tried unplugging on of the laptops from a wall socket and plugging in another wireless router to the wall socket by one of its ethernet ports (not the modem port) and then first of all plugging the laptops into this router and then trying to use them wirelessly. In both instances I only have access to broadband and the other laptop plugged into the wireless router. I cannot see the desktop PCs that are plugged into other wall sockets.
I hope this helps

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Ok. Thanks for that information. Basically, what is happening is your router is setup to configure your computers automatically with the correct details required to communicate with each other. When you add another router this starts telling your computers connected to that different settings and so the computers connected to one router are technically on a different network and so can not "see" each other. To fix the problem you will need to setup you new router to act as a Wireless Access Point. This will then mean your computers will be on the same network and so everything should operate as it was before. I'm not sure what router you have so I can't tell you what to do exactly but you will need to change the settings on your new router to ensure the computers are connected to the same network. Many routers have an option that says "use as a wireless access point" somewhere on their configuration page. If you reply with the make and model of your new router I'll try to help you a bit more.